Cichlid Hybrid Question

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

BridgetS

Reaction score
I have a Texas cichlid and a Green Severum. I recently put them in a tank together (when I got them originally, they fought), and the Texas then proved herself to be a female by laying eggs in a pit in the gravel. She allows the Severum to be around and they often "kiss" the side of each other. I guess what I am getting at is that they seem to think they are a mating pair, but I was wondering if they would produce viable offspring or not. I can't seem to find much information on hybrids other than BPs and the few others mentioned on this site. Someone please help!...Thanks

those 2 species are not very closely related so if they did crossbreed the fry would most likely not be fertile. :)

as SA said both the Jaw Locking and the bites to the side can be veiwed as agressision. I have a male JD and a female GT in a tank that is divided the female lays eggs every month, however, when they are both together there is lots of jaw locking and biting on the sides, and this does nothing more than hurt both fish, I would be careful and watch what they do but have a divider on hand.

just my 2 cents.

Juan

I do know that the biting is aggression, and I do keep a close eye on them. For now I have them separated in two different tanks, though they've never injured each other. I do always have a tank divider on hand, in fact I have it in one of my tanks now. Thanks all for your input.

the kissing is agression and i took it upon myself to ask and expert and he said the 2 fish can not produce offspring ;)

GuppyDude said:
the kissing is agression and i took it upon myself to ask and expert and he said the 2 fish can not produce offspring ;)
if blood parrots can spawn with convicts, midas and flowerhorns then I have no doubt in my mind that a texas and a severum could spawn and produce fry. however, I don't think it's very likely that they would. :)

Jason_S said:
if blood parrots can spawn with convicts, midas and flowerhorns then I have no doubt in my mind that a texas and a severum could spawn and produce fry. however, I don't think it's very likely that they would. :)
It all depends on how closely related the fish are... it's more likely that they'd spawn than that they'd be able to produce viable offspring, if you ask me.

actually the question of viable fry being produced is just that a question its a roll of the dice, I have seen the results of a JD and GT spawning and those fish are no where near closely related.

Synirr said:
Jason_S said:
It all depends on how closely related the fish are... it's more likely that they'd spawn than that they'd be able to produce viable offspring, if you ask me.
plus, I never said the fry would be viable, simply that a texas and severum could produce fry. :)

By the way juan, $1 more and you'd have outbid me. ;)

Jason_S said:
Synirr said:
Jason_S said:
if blood parrots can spawn with convicts, midas and flowerhorns then I have no doubt in my mind that a texas and a severum could spawn and produce fry.  however, I don't think it's very likely that they would. :)
plus, I never said the fry would be viable, simply that a texas and severum could produce fry. :)

By the way juan, $1 more and you'd have outbid me. ;)
...But if they weren't viable, chances are the eggs would never hatch at all, and therefore there wouldn't be fry -_-. That's the point I was trying to get across -- the fish can spawn easily enough, but unless they're compatible species, you're not going to get anything but moldy eggs as a result :p

The question of viable fry is a far cry from a roll of the dice... it's all based on genetics. Some species can easily interbreed and produce viable offspring, where with others your chances of getting viable offspring are slim or nonexistent.

ok, one of us are misunderstanding what "viable fry" means and it could very well be me. By viable fry I meant fry that could go on to be fertile and have fry of their own. Now, after re-reading these posts you meant fry that would hatch and survive...at least I think. So, just a simple misunderstanding. :rofl:

Anyway, let me rephrase then...I do think that a texas cichlid and a severum could spawn and have fertile eggs that hatched into healthy fry. These fry may or may not (I'd be more inclined to say not) be fertile so most likely would not be able to grow up and reproduce. I do believe, though that these fry could grow into healthy adult fish. :)

Jason_S said:
ok, one of us are misunderstanding what "viable fry" means and it could very well be me. By viable fry I meant fry that could go on to be fertile and have fry of their own. Now, after re-reading these posts you meant fry that would hatch and survive...at least I think. So, just a simple misunderstanding. :rofl:

Anyway, let me rephrase then...I do think that a texas cichlid and a severum could spawn and have fertile eggs that hatched into healthy fry. These fry may or may not (I'd be more inclined to say not) be fertile so most likely would not be able to grow up and reproduce. I do believe, though that these fry could grow into healthy adult fish. :)
Yeah, I've heard the word viable used both way... but sinc eI'm currently in an evolution class where my professor uses it to mean 'capable of living outside the womb/egg,' that's how I've been using it ;)
I don't know if a texas and a severum could produce viable fry or not... like I said, a lot of it depends on how closely related they are :dunno:

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back