Cichlid Help

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

pbase5583

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
i have a 65 gallon tank and was told to put alot of cichlids in at the same time. which just saying now i will not do until i put buffer and the malawi salt in. it used to be a freshwater its cycled now wanting to do cichlids. What should i do. they say buy them all at the same time so they cannot establish territories(and overstock a little bit) but wont that add ammonia to the tank?

i think your current filter and the new one will be more than enough to be honest. its always good to over filter :) :good:

so should i get the second one. I was told a canister but hate wasting stuff, and also the electric bill at my facility is high enough. but anyway heres my tank

http://s1056.photobucket.com/albums/t367/panosNoFlex/?action=view&current=4d7f42b1.jpg

heres my tank i dont know how to make it pop up but its cloudy right now because i moved some decorations out and rocks in.

from your other thread, no, two aquaclear 70's is not enough filtration. They need very efficient filters, typically people run two canisters, hang on backs allow too much of the water go unfiltered. You might be able to run two aquaclear 110's for it, with a strict tank maintenance schedule, but canisters will still be your best bet.

ah my bad i thought the filters you named were canister/externals not HOB. im not a fan of HOB tbh. :look:

oh lol, no i use HOB because its most simple to take care of, when i move into my new home in 2-4 months i will invest in a canister though, but for now thats what im working with.

when i do get a canister filter i will probably get this one
http://www.vetdepot.com/marineland-magnum-350-canister-filter-100-gal.html?shopping=1

and when i do get one, how to set it up and also, does it run up the electric bill?

when i do get a canister filter i will probably get this one
http://www.vetdepot.com/marineland-magnum-350-canister-filter-100-gal.html?shopping=1

and when i do get one, how to set it up and also, does it run up the electric bill?

I haven't notice much higher electric bill. BE EXTREMELY CAREFUL putting the top on, you DO NOT want to bend the tubing on the inside, where your water flows. Mine currently stopped filtering the water through; the system and sorta "cooked" it as for I didn't check on it for a week. I just got my filter tubing in the mail for a c360, but the m350 is great, I would also recommend if funds are available to get the upgrade model w/ the bio wheel system to hang on the back, You basically get double filtration, I would have but I won all my gear for my cichlids. I am setting up my C360 today, and need to get another filter soon. I have one HOB and one Canister. I have heard good on the API models but for your tank you would need the main base for 99 and the second peice for 75, good up to 100-110gal.

Mangum 350 Pro And looks like its only 106 right now, not bad.

well i have the funds for it just wondering though, what filtration do i need? can my aquaclear 70 gallon be a temperary? its established, and what would i need. i hear high filtration.

Two 70's will be fine for a while. I have 2 50's on my 55gal(US)tank with 25 Mbuna and they do a fine job for now. All my fish are small- about 2"- so I will be getting 1 canister at least to go with 1 hob. I too prefer the hob's, especially Aqua Clear. They have been great filters that are very easy to maintain. But with Mbuna, more filtration is better and canisters probably do a better job at moving water. I actually have 3 filters on that tank but 1 will be going on another tank. I'm seeding a Fluval C3 which are pretty interesting if you haven't seen them.

Thanks,
Steve

can someone please tell me how to make this photo visible, i will click image and then paste link and its says i cannot post it in this forum

http://s1056.photobucket.com/albums/t367/panosNoFlex/?action=view&current=ac7692e6.jpg

panosNoFlex

see nothing

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back