Cichlid food

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
๐Ÿ† Click to vote! ๐Ÿ†

Hiya! I feed my cichlids a variety of food to be honest as it helps them grow and maintain colour.. For a main diet I use vitalis south american cichlid formula which is a smaller sinking pellet based feed. I like to include bloodworms and peas into the diet every two-three days as it is important to get all aspects of the fishes diet. Hikari cichlid gold is another great main feed as is new life cichlid formula pellets :)

Hiya! I feed my cichlids a variety of food to be honest as it helps them grow and maintain colour.. For a main diet I use vitalis south american cichlid formula which is a smaller sinking pellet based feed. I like to include bloodworms and peas into the diet every two-three days as it is important to get all aspects of the fishes diet. Hikari cichlid gold is another great main feed as is new life cichlid formula pellets :)

I did pick up some of the Hikari gold today luckily to give while i get some other varties ordered and i have got some bloodworms, brine shrimp etc

Was going to order some of the fluval bug bite cichlid formula but wasnt sure what else. ( im gathering they will also tuck into flake and other pellets i feed my other fish too)

Do you feed yours anymore greens other than peas?

What sort of cichlids do you keep?
Different cichlids require different foods. Some are vegetarian, others carnivores and others omnivores.

What sort of cichlids do you keep?
Different cichlids require different foods. Some are vegetarian, others carnivores and others omnivores.
Hi Colin,

Ive got Thorichthys ellioti and Herotilapia multispinosa which i believe are omnivores.

I did pick up some of the Hikari gold today luckily to give while i get some other varties ordered and i have got some bloodworms, brine shrimp etc

Was going to order some of the fluval bug bite cichlid formula but wasnt sure what else. ( im gathering they will also tuck into flake and other pellets i feed my other fish too)

Do you feed yours anymore greens other than peas?
Bug bite is really good for most cichlids especially the larger ones.. Peas is probably the best as it is significantly easier to digest for fish and also leaves significantly less bio load if uneaten but I would still remove it for obvious reasons haha. Eliotis are as you say omnivores and will likely accept anything that will fit in their mouths that they like the taste of so you could do some blanched spinach or cucumber if it was in small enough pieces same goes for the multis. To be honest most cichlids will accept anything but the omnivores are just the easiest to work with as you have so much option for a diet ?

I use exactly the same combo. For my American cichlids its hikari cihlid gold sinking and fluval bug bites cichlid pallets. I also feed them frozen cichlid mix once a week which i pick up from the fish store. For my African cichlids (mbunas) as they are herbivores use vitalis rift lake green and hikare cichlid excel. Once a week they get vegetables. Working good so dar healthy and nicely coloured.

Last edited:
I use Omega One Cichlid Flake and Ocean Nutrition Spirulina flakes on a daily basis.

For breeding, I use blood worms every 2-3 days to help fatten them up. As @Colin_T stated - not all cichlids have the same requirements and you would want to make sure you are getting them what they need.

I use fluval bug bites over the hikari gold the hikari actually had E number preservatives

I use fluval bug bites over the hikari gold the hikari actually had E number preservatives

I hear a lot about how low quality hikari food is in general. I just dont understand how can they be in the business for long as they have if its that bad. personally I l use it and i have had no problems.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back