Cichlid Food

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Duz

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I know Malawi cichlids need low amounts of protein and higher amounts of algae/plant matter, but I was wondering what everyone feeds their Malawi cichlids/synodontis. 

I've used NTlabs Pro-f Cichlid Green 33 food before and it brings out their colours brilliantly. However, it's expensive (approx £8 for 100ml or £40 for 1kg) and seems to go down really quickly. 

Has anyone used JBL Novo Malawi, it's a bit cheaper and I'm thinking it might last a bit longer. 

What ever I'm going to buy, I'm going to buy it in a large amount, as the fish will eventually go through it. 

james41683 said:
Never used the jbl stuff. New life spectrum is a good choice and you can purchase it in larger containers.

That stuff looks quite good. The only thing I don't like about the NT labs food is that none of it sinks, so any fish lower down tend to avoid getting anything. 

I've taken to the Cobalt brands, I have 2 kinds of sinking pellets and then spirulina flakes. I love their heaters too.

The fish were a bit confused by the rod shaped pellets at first, but now they scarf them down with no problems. They get a mix of the two kinds of pellets, which I decided to break into smaller pieces as they were too long for my juveniles. I mainly use the flakes for the fry and smaller fish. It's pretty expensive, but I think it's worth it. I can probably buy the stuff a lot cheaper on line but I feel it's better to support your local pet stores ;)
IMG_0721.JPG IMG_0722.JPG IMG_0723.JPG

As for size, here's a tooth pick with the spirulina pellets on the left and the other pellets on the right.
IMG_0726.JPG

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back