Cichlid Breeding 2.0

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

thelaw

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
ok so i have changed my cichlid breeding plans i will have 3 40 gallon tanks for the breeding i will breed convict cichlids firemouth cichlids and rainbow cichlids and one day maybe get one more 40 gallon tank and get a pair of green Severum cichlids for fry tanks i will have 3 to 4 29 gallon tanks so they can live in them longer term. tell me what you think

respect the hobby respect the hobbyist and most importantly respect the fish.    

Sounds good but I'd suggest getting two 10 gallon fry tanks for the very small fry that way they can find the food easily and they wont get lost like they would in a 29 gallon other than that seems like a great set up :)

RRaquariums said:
Sounds good but I'd suggest getting two 10 gallon fry tanks for the very small fry that way they can find the food easily and they wont get lost like they would in a 29 gallon other than that seems like a great set up
smile.png
thanks
yes.gif

Make sure to take some pics since we all love to see what your going to build :)

RRaquariums said:
Make sure to take some pics since we all love to see what your going to build
smile.png
ok i will try to 
thanks.gif

I would want the Severums in a bigger tank than a 40 - adults are big fish if its just the pair you want minimum of 70 gallons preferably more but certainly at least a 4 x 2 foot footprint.

Also what are the plans for the fry? 4 pairs of fish breeding continually will produce a lot of fish - do you have shops willing to take them or buy them? Maybe not initially but in a year or so your fish will be very good parents and be able to raise a lot of fry for you to deal with.

Wills

Wills said:
I would want the Severums in a bigger tank than a 40 - adults are big fish if its just the pair you want minimum of 70 gallons preferably more but certainly at least a 4 x 2 foot footprint.

Also what are the plans for the fry? 4 pairs of fish breeding continually will produce a lot of fish - do you have shops willing to take them or buy them? Maybe not initially but in a year or so your fish will be very good parents and be able to raise a lot of fry for you to deal with.

Wills
i will be putting the fry in 29 gallon tanks i have not asked any shops but it will be along time before this will be done and if no severums do you think key hole cichlids will work? 

Yeah Keyholes will work great.

Just a thought but if your intentions are breeding why not look at rarer relatives of the fish you listed? So instead of regular convicts try and get a pair of Yellow Convicts and instead of Firemouths get Aureus or Ellioti - just because the fry will demand a better price and be easier to move on.

Wills

Wills said:
Yeah Keyholes will work great.

Just a thought but if your intentions are breeding why not look at rarer relatives of the fish you listed? So instead of regular convicts try and get a pair of Yellow Convicts and instead of Firemouths get Aureus or Ellioti - just because the fry will demand a better price and be easier to move on.

Wills
cool thanks can you give me the common names of the last two i am not good with that kind of stuff and i will not do the yellow convicts because i want it to be there natural look and i am not just doing this for the prophet i do it for the joy of breeding these beautiful animals i like them just the way they are thanks for the help
biggrin.png

Hi have you thought of a pair of Tbar cichlids they have some lovely colours  in them and breed like rabbits as cousins of the convicts . 

bikerfish said:
Hi have you thought of a pair of Tbar cichlids they have some lovely colours  in them and breed like rabbits as cousins of the convicts . 
no i have never herd of them they are nice maybe i will consider it 
thanks.gif

Yeah severums will need a 50 gallon at least, they are also very hard to pair up. Also for your grow out tanks, I think a 29 gallon is fine. Fry don't get lost as easily as you think, and they will outgrow a 10 gallon very fast.

@thelaw Maybe you should start a new thread to condense your 4 threads. You seem very interested in keeping cichlids and that's great! Maybe start a single thread where we can all suggest possible stocking options and tank sizes :)

Also, I hope you're not thinking about breeding convicts for profit! haha the most you can get for a spawn is maybe a bottle of food or water conditioner or something like that:p

Most reactions

trending

Back