FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

slt

Fish Gatherer
Reaction score
i've only got 2 fish out of cichilids angels i've looked at others but on all
the tanks in the stores there are little notices saying can be agressive
are there other spieces of cichilids that are't agressive,

I believe the dwarf cichlids are generally peaceful.

i've seen these but it said can be agrssive,

Actually,

Angel fish can become highly aggressive in their own right. I would keep an eye on them for this.

The dwarf cichlids such as apistogramma are relatively mild and would do well with angels.

my angels arn't realy big at the moment yes i've heard they can become
agressive when bigger so i will move them into another tank, hopefuly
should have one up and running by then, there quite placid now
so that will probabley change, i saw some realy lovely cichilids at my lfd
forgot what there called they were a bright orange colour and quite small,

Wouldn't have been a red zebra, would it? One of the more agressive, well territorial, africans I think. (It's been a while since I read up on them.)

can't remember what it was called, pity there all agressive,

not heard of those either,

I think they 'hang' with Angels in the wild, go kinda Blue when older, peaceful so I've heard. :alien:

Festivums may get bullied once the angels put on some size.

Festivums are by nature very peaceful and would IMO become very stressed out by the angels.

The Dwarf idea sounds cool then! I have a pair of Agassizis and they are pretty chilled fish, wouldn't the angels bully them too though, in time? Or would they be Ok because they'll spend time in different levels of the tank? :/

They should do fine due to, as you say, they inhabit different water levels.

i think that people get scared off when they read aggressive ont he labels. cichlids are aggressive, but what animal is not? it is survival of the fittest.

as far as the aggression is it can be controlled. a little lower temps, feeding three times a day and the type of foods they are accustomed to. when i first got my devils the one was so aggressive that i could not keep anything else in the tank with him. now that i am more experienced with him and know i will not kill him by lowering the temp a few degrees he is great and in a community with other fish. he has even been with africans. i also feed him high protein diet.

you should try anything. make sure before you do that the lfs will take back on trade or whatever any fish that is not working out or get more tanks :D always a good excuse!

just my two cents

maggie

Most reactions

Back