Christmas Moss Vs Java Moss

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Jer-

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
Hi

Does anyone know how to differentiate between the common Java moss and the Christmas Moss?

I went to a fish shop nearby and they had Vericularia "Christmas Moss" and Vericularia sp.

But i couldnt really tell the difference to be honest.

So can anyone help? I would love to own some different moss other than Java.

The fonds of the moss look like a flattened christmas tree if you can imagine it like that, Tropica give a good explanation of it

Id like to try this moss myself although it does grow slower than Java moss

First plant on the second row thats where you will find it.

Tropica

Normal java moss looks a lot darker green (I have never seen xmas moss though) and is typically that colour when bought, mine looks a lot greener and lusher under my lights more like the colour of this fella :alien:

It has a thinner stringier look to it than the thicker fonds of xmas moss, see a picture I took the other day here..

moss.jpg

^^^^^looks nice oldwhitwood you should put some pics up, why do you think the colour of your moss is lighter.....any ideas.....just out of curiousity.

hmm...Java moss can be as beautiful as Xmas moss...

Only if u know how to grow it properly... :X

I have had Java moss b4 and it turned out to be a disaster cos it gathered thread algea and other debris.
It then slowly went brown...

Im hoping this time round it will grow nicer...i have decided to buy the ones sold as Christmas moss... will check it out b4 i buy tho... but i dont really care if it is Java anyways. cos after lookin at some pics of java i think they are absolutely fab.

^^^^^looks nice oldwhitwood you should put some pics up, why do you think the colour of your moss is lighter.....any ideas.....just out of curiousity.

Nah my tank is not that good really it looks better than it is in that picture, thats side on.

I think its just basically because the tank has a lot of light which makes it appear lighter, when you take it out it looks the same colour under normal light, that kinda dark green colour. .

Hi,

Java moss is native to Southeast Asia and it is one of the most used moss worldwide. One reason to stick to it is its durability and its ability to remain green and fresh even in the intense aquatic circumstances that would perish other mosses.

Christmas moss got its name because of its leaves which are in the shape of a triangle and are similar to the fir Christmas tree. Native to Brazil, it is available throughout the world today and looks stunning the aquarium.

Here is a helpful resource for you: Java Moss Vs Christmas Moss Comparison

Cheers

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back