Chorcoal

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Funny Pie

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
So as you all might know my whole school of neon's got Ick. I bought medicine on monday and i took the charcoal out of my whisper filter (aka the bio bag) ad i put the first dose in. Yesterday after i put the dose in i checked up on them... no more white dots, they were looking neony again. Now, i was wondering i know that im supposed to keep doing it for at least a week to kill them all, but my water has been at 87 for the past 3 days and im putting this medicine in. My tank is gettin a lil more dirty each day because the filter bag would collect everything in the filter and make it clear instead of just keep on recycling it... would it be ok to put a new bio bag back in?

87 might be a bit high for your neons try lowering it to around 84 which will still be high enough to kill off any free floating ick in that stage of your tank. Using carbon after you've finished medicating your tank isn't a bad idea as the carbon will take out the meds. You should have no problems putting a new pack of carbon into your filter all of the healthy bateria has long since died from not being in your tank and it is very important to change your carbon often to avoid it leaching back into your water. But extra water changes and not carbon in the end will lead to better cleaner water conditions

Keep dosing the tank with the med for 5-7 days. This will make sure you kill any of the parasite that are in the laveal stage now, but were buried in a fish somewhere when you started.
Turning the temp up speeds up their life cycle and makes them come out to play (or die) quicker.

Funny Pie said:
So as you all might know my whole school of neon's got Ick. I bought medicine on monday and i took the charcoal out of my whisper filter (aka the bio bag) ad i put the first dose in. Yesterday after i put the dose in i checked up on them... no more white dots, they were looking neony again. Now, i was wondering i know that im supposed to keep doing it for at least a week to kill them all, but my water has been at 87 for the past 3 days and im putting this medicine in. My tank is gettin a lil more dirty each day because the filter bag would collect everything in the filter and make it clear instead of just keep on recycling it... would it be ok to put a new bio bag back in?
[snapback]907865[/snapback]​
Wait. Is there any media in your filter at all now or did you remove it all (i.e. the BioBag)?

i belive so....i do that too. its a pain to remvoe all the carbon from the bio bags so i just remove the whole thing. likethe others said, lower the temp to 84 and treat for another week or so to make sure its gone. afterwards do a good gravel vac and replace the carbon/bio bag.

fish_keeper2 said:
i belive so....i do that too. its a pain to remvoe all the carbon from the bio bags so i just remove the whole thing. likethe others said, lower the temp to 84 and treat for another week or so to make sure its gone. afterwards do a good gravel vac and replace the carbon/bio bag.
[snapback]908446[/snapback]​
Problem being, if you remove all of the filter media, you've uncycled the tank.

modernhamlet said:
fish_keeper2 said:
[snapback]908540[/snapback]​

...ahh crap.... actually i think the bio bag is only carcoal.. but im not sure

Funny Pie said:
modernhamlet said:
fish_keeper2 said:
i belive so....i do that too. its a pain to remvoe all the carbon from the bio bags so i just remove the whole thing. likethe others said, lower the temp to 84 and treat for another week or so to make sure its gone.  afterwards do a good gravel vac and replace the carbon/bio bag.
[snapback]908540[/snapback]​

[snapback]908565[/snapback]​

Well buddy, if you don't even know what kind of filter media you're using you're in trouble. If you are using a cheap little HOB like a whisper, just fill it with aquaclear sponge; youll get better biological AND mechanical filtration. Besides the carbon tetra gives you is right craaappp

spanishguy111 said:
Funny Pie said:

Well buddy, if you don't even know what kind of filter media you're using you're in trouble. If you are using a cheap little HOB like a whisper, just fill it with aquaclear sponge; youll get better biological AND mechanical filtration. Besides the carbon tetra gives you is right craaappp
[snapback]909846[/snapback]​

Funny Pie: I find stuffing the BioBag with cheap Polyester batting (from a craft or sewing store) is a good way to utilize the filter. It's not that hard to cut one open and empty most of the charcoal. Just a suggestion...

Keep an eye on your parameters over the next 2 weeks and do several unscheduled water changes. Maybe you'll be alright.

spanishguy111: That's completely unneccesary. You've posted numberous rude messages since you got here. This a friendly forum. Learn some manners.

modernhamlet said:
spanishguy111 said:
Funny Pie said:

Funny Pie: I find stuffing the BioBag with cheap Polyester batting (from a craft or sewing store) is a good way to utilize the filter. It's not that hard to cut one open and empty most of the charcoal. Just a suggestion...

Keep an eye on your parameters over the next 2 weeks and do several unscheduled water changes. Maybe you'll be alright.

spanishguy111: That's completely unneccesary. You've posted numberous rude messages since you got here. This a friendly forum. Learn some manners.
[snapback]909851[/snapback]​

Its also a very poor quality forum with almost 90% incorrect answers given most of the time. Pretty disheartening. I'm trying to slap some sense into people. And since there's no useful information here for me, I could care less :D

spanishguy111 said:
Its also a very poor quality forum with almost 90% incorrect answers given most of the time. Pretty disheartening. I'm trying to slap some sense into people. And since there's no useful information here for me, I could care less :D
[snapback]909852[/snapback]​
Problem being, you're adding to the incorrect answers as often as you're right. Even when you're right, you're doing it in a rude manner. That's not how we work here.

And I've been fighting misinformation here for almost 2 years. Don't tell me about disheartening.

spanishguy111 said:
modernhamlet said:
spanishguy111 said:
Funny Pie said:

So why don't you just do everyone and yourself a favor and leave and never come back?

yvez9 said:
spanishguy111 said:
modernhamlet said:
spanishguy111 said:
Funny Pie said:

So why don't you just do everyone and yourself a favor and leave and never come back?
[snapback]910213[/snapback]​

Quite right.

Incidently, how can you say 90% of the answers given are wrong? No one has all the right answers and 99.9% of people that post here are doing it to try and help someone. No one gives misinformation on purpose.
While we're on the subject, what makes you think that your information is better than anyone elses?

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back