choosing algae cleaners

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

IKeepAngels

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
i am currently looking for a pleco or another loricariid that will serve it's purpose of eating some algae but then look really stunning. i am currently choosing between a royal whiptail catfish and a veil bristlenose. what do you think is better? i heard whiptails are more peaceful and i've kept them before too

While we're awaiting parameter data (GH and pH) and tank dimensions, I'll just point out that none of the so-called algae eating fish will eat all types of algae; some are very specific. I mention this whenever a member asks about fish to deal with algae because all of these have specific requirements, and may not eat the algae species you have anyway. "Problem" algae is rarely touched for example.

i have never kept whiptails, but i have plenty of experience with plecos, which will poop a lot because of the fibrous algae they eat, and plecos need to be fed, they are not scrap cleaner fish, they should be fed a sinking algae wafer every day or two, and many plecos would prefer to have driftwood to eat and to hide. that is the basic info you should know about plecos, but i wont say further until i know the parameters, stocking, and size of you tank.

my PH is around 6-7 (my ph test kits give different results) i have a 50 g tank. i want one that will most algae in general (i do know that whiptails eat some types of algae because as i said, i've kept them before) and will look pretty when grown up. i'm starting to change my views on the pleco because i heard they poop A LOT. i have 1 adult and 1 juvenile veil angel, 4 silvertips, 3 rummynose, 1 golden pencil, 8 kuhli loaches, and 2 yoyo loaches. please do not judge me for the fact that i have less than 10 of each of the schooling fish in my tank. they used to be 25+ silvertips and 40+ rummynose but then the rummynose, which was newly bought, turned out to be sick and killed majority of the fish i have. that's why i was asking for an algae eater because one of the disease's victims was my royal whiptail catfish. if you should say something, please do not worry because as soon as i go back to my LFS (in about 4 weeks), i'll add some more of them. thank you all for responding BTW! :)

My bristle nose plecos don’t do much at all for algae. Just two more fish for me to have to feed although they are awful cute when you see them. Mine are in 2 separate tanks but they’re just fat and lazy. Lol

my PH is around 6-7 (my ph test kits give different results) i have a 50 g tank. i want one that will most algae in general (i do know that whiptails eat some types of algae because as i said, i've kept them before) and will look pretty when grown up. i'm starting to change my views on the pleco because i heard they poop A LOT. i have 1 adult and 1 juvenile veil angel, 4 silvertips, 3 rummynose, 1 golden pencil, 8 kuhli loaches, and 2 yoyo loaches. please do not judge me for the fact that i have less than 10 of each of the schooling fish in my tank. they used to be 25+ silvertips and 40+ rummynose but then the rummynose, which was newly bought, turned out to be sick and killed majority of the fish i have. that's why i was asking for an algae eater because one of the disease's victims was my royal whiptail catfish. if you should say something, please do not worry because as soon as i go back to my LFS (in about 4 weeks), i'll add some more of them. thank you all for responding BTW! :)
All fish that primarily eat only algae for most of their diet (like many plecos and other algae eaters), will poop a lot because the algae is very fibrous, making them have a lot of poop. These fish poop a lot because they eat a lot of the fibrous algae, which makes them considered as algae cleaning fish. If you want an algae eater that doesn't poop as much as a pleco, i would recommend a hillstream loach of some sort, as they are a little bit less effective at cleaning algae short-term when compared to a BN pleco. But in the long run, they do a great job with eating algae, and they poop less than a pleco would. the only problem with hilstream loaches is they like colder water than tropical fish.

This is one main problem with acquiring fish to deal with a problem (actual or perceived). Hillstream Loaches cannot be added to the OP's tank as they have very different requirements in terms of temperature [I know this was mentioned] and water flow.

This is one main problem with acquiring fish to deal with a problem (actual or perceived). Hillstream Loaches cannot be added to the OP's tank as they have very different requirements in terms of temperature [I know this was mentioned] and water flow.
The loaches may still work in the tank if the temperature is adjusted to 75-76°F, if a sponge filter/air stone is added for oxygenation, and if the filter can have a medium to strong current. Although doing so to add the loaches is a bit of a stretch, i have done it before successfully to accommodate hillstream loaches with corydoras and livebearer fish in a 20 gallon tank.

i will consider loaches :). i will stick to whatever is available because only one of the 3 is available at a certain time of the year which i don't know

The loaches may still work in the tank if the temperature is adjusted to 75-76°F, if a sponge filter/air stone is added for oxygenation, and if the filter can have a medium to strong current. Although doing so to add the loaches is a bit of a stretch, i have done it before successfully to accommodate hillstream loaches with corydoras and livebearer fish in a 20 gallon tank.

I'm sorry, but this is inaccurate. Hillstream Loaches need (or should have) more current than what any airstone or sponge filter can provide. And sedate fish like angelfish do not appreciate currents anywhere this strong.

If one is going to house a species, the requirements of that species must be understood if the fish are to be healthy.

i will consider loaches :). i will stick to whatever is available because only one of the 3 is available at a certain time of the year which i don't know

Which loaches? There are none that might deal with algae suited to this tank.

I'm sorry, but this is inaccurate. Hillstream Loaches need (or should have) more current than what any airstone or sponge filter can provide. And sedate fish like angelfish do not appreciate currents anywhere this strong.

If one is going to house a species, the requirements of that species must be understood if the fish are to be healthy.
air stone/sponge filter for oxygenation, as hillstream loaches live in and must have oxygen rich water to thrive.
Which loaches? There are none that might deal with algae suited to this tank.
Hillstream loaches

air stone/sponge filter for oxygenation, as hillstream loaches live in and must have oxygen rich water to thrive.

Hillstream loaches

If you understood the natural habitat, you would realize that hillstream loaches need a stronger current than most fish require. The oxygen and temperature is one aspect but not the only one. They are not compatible.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back