Chocolate mollies

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

emeraldking

Staff member
Global Moderator ⚒️
Reaction score
Well, I've kept a serious number of chocolate mollies throughout the years. Today I've purchased a new group but in my opinion those fish are too skinny. I know how they suppose to look. So, the coming weeks I'll make them fatter (let's say a more ferm bodyshape). These are also albinos. I've put them in my livebearer pool. Outdoors they will gain weight faster.
I was just curious before I picked them up wether they were Poecilia sphenops or Poecilia velifera (for chcocolate variety as being a P.velifera is already a fact). But I was send a short video of them through Fb messenger. And I saw that they were P.sphenops. Just like the black molly a fancy strain of the wild P.sphenops.
IMG_2866.JPG

IMG_2865.JPG

IMG_2860.JPG

They're all lyretails. I also ordered regular chocolate mollies but they weren't delivered. 4 of the lyretails came in dead. So, I took all the ones left. 7 In total.

I do like the colour, it's like a rich bronze. I think against a background of bright green plants, under a good aquarium light, they'd look stunning :wub:

@emeraldking when you get new livebearers, do you medicate them for worms or anything? Or only if they show symptoms? Just curious because I'm treating for worms in my guppies now, and so many places said that livebearers from fish farms are likely to be carrying both round and flatworms, have been thinking about medicating automatically while in quarantine, even though I never liked the thought of that before. Just wondering what you do as a quarantine procedure since you are the livebearer expert! I'd like to avoid going through this worm battle again!

Not sure if I like the color, would probably pass on them for my tank:dunno:
Well, that makes the aquarium hobby so interesting. For people have got different tastes. It would probaly become boring if everyone would have the same preference. And yes, they're brown. Pretty clear where the name came from... :)

I do like the colour, it's like a rich bronze. I think against a background of bright green plants, under a good aquarium light, they'd look stunning :wub:

@emeraldking when you get new livebearers, do you medicate them for worms or anything? Or only if they show symptoms? Just curious because I'm treating for worms in my guppies now, and so many places said that livebearers from fish farms are likely to be carrying both round and flatworms, have been thinking about medicating automatically while in quarantine, even though I never liked the thought of that before. Just wondering what you do as a quarantine procedure since you are the livebearer expert! I'd like to avoid going through this worm battle again!
In general I do keep new purchases in quarantine and if necessary I do treat them. But in this case, I knew where these came from. And they're healthy but just weren't fed well enough.
Even if new purchases came from a water enviroment which can be told as being good. If they're not suffciently close enough to my water parameters, the new fish won't enter the tanks I had in mind for them right away.

Well, I've kept a serious number of chocolate mollies throughout the years. Today I've purchased a new group but in my opinion those fish are too skinny. I know how they suppose to look. So, the coming weeks I'll make them fatter (let's say a more ferm bodyshape). These are also albinos. I've put them in my livebearer pool. Outdoors they will gain weight faster.
I was just curious before I picked them up wether they were Poecilia sphenops or Poecilia velifera (for chcocolate variety as being a P.velifera is already a fact). But I was send a short video of them through Fb messenger. And I saw that they were P.sphenops. Just like the black molly a fancy strain of the wild P.sphenops.
View attachment 112546
View attachment 112548
View attachment 112549
They're all lyretails. I also ordered regular chocolate mollies but they weren't delivered. 4 of the lyretails came in dead. So, I took all the ones left. 7 In total.
they look in pretty good condition. they are occasionally for sale in aquatic shops here in the uk usually in such poor conditions

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back