Welcome to Our Community

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Chiclid lake salt dozing

Discussion in 'Tropical Fish Emergencies' started by TO KYO, Mar 8, 2019.

1. TO KYO

TO KYO Fish Fanatic

Hi, I own a 20g with mollies. One of them is suffering from low water hardness so one of your members recommended me to get chiclid salt and I just got it today. What should I do now? X% water change or just get water from my tank, dissolve it in a separate container, and just add it to the tank?

2. Colin_T

Colin_T Member

It depends on when you last did a water change. If you did a water change recently, you can add a small amount (1 heaped teaspoon) directly to the tank. Then make up some water and use that to do water changes over the next few weeks. You only need to use the rift lake salts at half strength for livebearers.

3. Byron

Byron Member

Going forward, at the next regular water change and at each thereafter you should prepare the water before adding it to the tank. In other words, mix the salts into the bucket of water and then add it to the tank.

4. TO KYO

TO KYO Fish Fanatic

“Make up some water...”?

5. TO KYO

TO KYO Fish Fanatic

Yes before i did the water change I first mixed 5 ml of cichcled salt (20g tank) waited 30 mins and then added it to the tank

6. Colin_T

Colin_T Member

That is basically making up the water. Fill up a bucket with tap water, add rift lake salts and dechlorinator, aerate for at least 30 minutes (or longer). Make sure all the salt is completely dissolved, then use that water to fill the tank. :)

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. TO KYO

TO KYO Fish Fanatic

When my water hardness balances up what should I do after? Do I have to keep adding a bit of salt every time I do a water change?

8. Colin_T

Colin_T Member

Yes, you will have to add some mineral salt each time you do a water change otherwise the minerals/ salts in the aquarium water will become diluted and the GH will drop.

9. TO KYO

TO KYO Fish Fanatic

Does this type of salt kills plants? Also, does it lowers the ph, boost it up, or does nothing to it?

10. Colin_T

Colin_T Member

I think you are using Seachem Equilibrium, if so it will not harm the plants and should not change the pH of the water.

11. TO KYO

TO KYO Fish Fanatic

861CB501-8FE8-43D7-A2EB-4474E50BA818.jpeg

12. Colin_T

Colin_T Member

The Seachem cichlid lake salt will not affect plants but will raise the pH a bit.

13. TO KYO

TO KYO Fish Fanatic

Thank you so much buddy. I’ve been learning so much with every post/other’s post. In my local PetSmart they can’t even difference the genders of mollies and lets not even mention petco

14. essjay

essjay Member

You need to keep the tank GH constant once it reaches the target level. Once the GH in the tank is where you want it, every time you do a water change you need to add enough of the salts to the new water to get the GH the same as the tank, then add the new water.

15. TO KYO

TO KYO Fish Fanatic

If plants are okay, that means It’s harmless for snails as well? If so what chemical from the other brands of salt actually harms the plants and catfishes