Cherry Shrimp ring of death

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Nemo2182

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
Morning Folks, so havent had to post in a while as all has been well....

Unfortunately I now have a problem. I have lost two female Cherrys to ring of death in last two weeks. So if im using a unfamiliar term, its when the ring in the middle of the body doesnt break to allow the shrimp to molt. Shrimp ends up dying because it cant get out of the old ectoskeleton.

I have around 10-12 (or did) Shrimp in my tank, a good mix of girls and boys. Only once have I had babies, which I dont mind so much, even though it must show something isnt quite right. I scaped my tank to allow plently of hiding places, they have the "Java Fern Hotel", bog wood, almond bark tunnel, not to mention a bonsai tree covered in java moss. They share a tank with 5 feisty male guppies, so im thinking that's the problem, even though they dont seem to bother the shrimp. I also gave 4 corydora habrosus, but again, they keep themselves to themselves.

Ive had several molts from the other females over last couple of days, so little bit miffed? I will say she was one of my bigger females, so maybe she was just old???

Nothing has changed in terms of water conditions, still 0A 0Ni 0Na and 160ppm GH

Any ideas???
Nathan

Hows your GH? Calcium deficency can cause this.
Also a study on low pH has shown the shells can gain an excess of calcium, making them harder to break.

160 GH. PH at 7.8 my water is very hard here, 350+ ppm, but I mix it 1 to 1 with pure RO, as I keep corydoras. This isnt new though, been doing this for 3 months and had no problems until last week. I also have a Zebra snail and she seems fine. I have plenty of Knife rock putting calcuim back in, as I battled this when I was doing 2:1 tap to RO

160 GH. PH at 7.8 my water is very hard here, 350+ ppm, but I mix it 1 to 1 with pure RO, as I keep corydoras. This isnt new though, been doing this for 3 months and had no problems until last week. I also have a Zebra snail and she seems fine. I have plenty of Knife rock putting calcuim back in, as I battled this when I was doing 2:1 tap to RO
Sorry I should of said 9 GH with 164ppm

I don't know much, but if you are concerned with a lack of shrimplets perhaps the other tank occupants are snacking?

I don't know much, but if you are concerned with a lack of shrimplets perhaps the other tank occupants are snacking?
Yeah i thought this and I have noticed my big blue guppy with a mouthful of eggs before, but I havent even seen a sign of any in months. SCUDS on the other hand breed like rabbits. Fish dont eat them!!!

Yeah i thought this and I have noticed my big blue guppy with a mouthful of eggs before, but I havent even seen a sign of any in months. SCUDS on the other hand breed like rabbits. Fish dont eat them!!!
I guess they have to draw the line sonewhere! :fun:

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back