Cherry shrimp, how long can they stay in a bag...?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

PheonixKingZ

Fish Guru
Tank of the Month 🏆
Pet of the Month 🎖️
Fish of the Month 🌟
Reaction score
So guys, tomorrow I'm taking some cherry shrimp over to my LFS. But, I don't want to make two trips out in the day. So I plan to take them in a bag, to church with me. (I will be in my car, due to the virus)

How long can they live in a plastic bag? Do they need to be in a cooler? What steps do I need to take?

Make sure the bag has lots of oxygen. Keep the water as consistent of a temp as you can. They should be ok

They can stay around 1 day in bag if you put oxgyen and floating plant in there. Make sure you use your old tank water instead of new one :fish:

Can you drop the shrimp off first and then go to church?

If not, use big bags that are half full of water and have the rest as air. If you don't have big bags, have fewer shrimp in smaller bags.

Wrap them in a blanket or towel and put them in an esky to keep the temperature stable.

I do have big zip lock bags, so those will work. And no, I have to go to church first.

So all I need to do is make sure the bags are half full of air and half full of oxygen?

Not sure how well the ziplock bags will hold up. If you use them, have the zipper bit at the top in case they leak.

Fill the bag 1/3 to 1/2 with water and the rest with air or oxygen.
Don't feed the fish/ shrimp for 24 hours before you put them in bags.
Do a water change a few days before you pack them up so they are in cleaner water when in the bags.

Alternatively, use a fish bucket with a lid and put them in that. Have an airline and airstone and blow air into the bucket while they are travelling.

Not sure how well the ziplock bags will hold up. If you use them, have the zipper bit at the top in case they leak.

Fill the bag 1/3 to 1/2 with water and the rest with air or oxygen.
Don't feed the fish/ shrimp for 24 hours before you put them in bags.
Do a water change a few days before you pack them up so they are in cleaner water when in the bags.

Alternatively, use a fish bucket with a lid and put them in that. Have an airline and airstone and blow air into the bucket while they are travelling.
Well, I did a large water changes yesterday. I take the shrimp today, to my LFS.

I don't have an airstone or airline, which is a bummer.

When you say, "Air/oxygen", do you mean like just the regular air we breathe? Or do i need to get the special oxygen that comes in the tanks?

You can use the air in the atmosphere or you can buy bottles of medical grade oxygen and fill the bags with that. Personally, I just use air from the atmosphere if the fish are only going to be bagged for a couple of hours. If it's half a day or longer, or there are lots of fish in a bag, then I use oxygen.

Just pack them lightly (not too many per bag) and use air (not oxygen).

Ok, sounds good. Thanks @Colin_T. ;)

(One more question: Would it make them feel better if I out in a small Anacharis piece? Or should I leave the bag empty?)

I would put something in the bags with them. You have a lot of spare anacharis at the moment so use that, or a bit of filter floss. Shrimps like to have something to stand on. I've seen them in shop tanks which are totally empty except for a half cocnut shell. Every shrimp in the tank was standing on that, and when there wasn't enough room left, they stood on each other.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back