Cherry shrimp care

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Aquarium guy person

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hi all, I’m looking to start a colony of red cherry shrimp in a 10 gallon. I will slowly move some into a 20 and once there is enough I will move some into my 40 gallon with guppies. I need basic care like how to keep them and their shells healthy. The best food to feed them and what plants to use that don’t require fertilizer and can live in gravel

Hi all, I’m looking to start a colony of red cherry shrimp in a 10 gallon. I will slowly move some into a 20 and once there is enough I will move some into my 40 gallon with guppies. I need basic care like how to keep them and their shells healthy. The best food to feed them and what plants to use that don’t require fertilizer and can live in gravel
Hello!

I have kept cherry shrimp for over a year now, here is a basic caresheet.

They can live in a 10g, but I would recommend starting them out in a 20g.

Plants: Anacharis, java fern, Anubias, moss balls, and java moss. (The first and last two are their favorites IME)

Java fern and Anubias must have roots above the substrate or their rhizomes will rot.

I feed my shrimp Tetra algae wafers, they love them. I also occasionally feed them shrimp cuisine. Shrimp are scavengers and will eat anything from left over food, to algae.

Any more questions, just please ask. ;)

Do the algae wafers and shrimp cuisine keep their shells and body healthy, and Also how many shrimps should I start out with

What is the GH and KH of your water?

Do the algae wafers and shrimp cuisine keep their shells and body healthy, and Also how many shrimps should I start out with
Mine are very healthy. I suggest starting out with 10. This is a very good number to start out with. Just remember to get 5 males and 5 females. Males are smaller than females and are less red. Females are much bigger and are a lot more red.

Hmmm..you might have to get a KH test kit.

All the ghost shrimp I’ve ever had did fine, I don’t know if that had any help in saying of its ok for cherries

Kh stands for Carbonate hardness. (Aka calcium)

Check with your local water provider.
KH isn't calcium, that's GH. KH is mainly carbonate and bicarbonate. The K is from the German for carbonate.

The recommended GH for RCS is 107 mg/l. They are known as softwater shrimp but I have never been able to find out how soft is too soft. Since I use RO water which is almost certainly too soft I just keep it at the recommended level using salty shrimp GH/KH+. I suspect they will be fine in your water - but can't guarantee it. I just feed mine what I feed my fish.

10 is a good number to start. I initially bought 10 on-line. 3 died very soon from the stress of being transported and today I have hundreds. They are prolific breeders and you don't need to do anything special. Plenty of plants and wood create a good environment and if you have no fish in the tank survival rate should be high. Mine are in a 15G with fish that love to eat shrimplets when they can find / catch them. 10G is fine as a tank size. They will not just keep reproducing. The rate slows down dramatically when you have lots of them, and if you take some out and put them into another tank breeding will start again.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back