Cherry Barbs & Zebra Danio's

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

moodyblues

Reaction score
OK, so I visited my LFS today and purchased 3 Cherry barbs along with 3 Zebra Danio's. I got them home, and noticed straight away that the three Cherry barbs started hanging around together quite closely whereas the Zebra Danio's didn't seem that fussed to be honest. I know for certain that I've got 1 male Cherry barb alongside 2 females, but I can't for the life of me sex the Danio's. How do you sex them?

Anyway, I've been reading up on both of these species and have found out that they both prefer to be in groups of at least six and are schooling fish, which is not what the guy at my LFS told me. He said that they weren't. I was a little peeved when I found that out when I got home.

So I have a little bit of a problem on my hands. Ideally I just want one group of schooling fish of a single species and I cannot make up my mind whether to take back the 3 Danio's or the 3 Cherry barbs. My tank is 70 litres (not the biggest) and I've read that Danio's like to have lots of swimming space. I'm kind of leaning towards keeping the Cherry's as I've kinda fallen in love with them already. If I do decide to take back the Danio's how many more Cherry barbs should I get? Bearing in mind that I have a male and two females already?

Any suggestions on which ones I should keep?

Well my preference would be for the cherry barbs. When the males are ready for mating they go an intense red. The females have a nice brown colour too.Have 6 minimum 2males, 4 females. Forget the danios i say :good:

female zebra danios have silver stripes and are much fatter than males, which have gold stripes.

if you take back the danios, you should get more so that you end up with a total of 2m, 4f, as mentioned above.

OK, so I visited my LFS today and purchased 3 Cherry barbs along with 3 Zebra Danio's. I got them home, and noticed straight away that the three Cherry barbs started hanging around together quite closely whereas the Zebra Danio's didn't seem that fussed to be honest. I know for certain that I've got 1 male Cherry barb alongside 2 females, but I can't for the life of me sex the Danio's. How do you sex them?

Anyway, I've been reading up on both of these species and have found out that they both prefer to be in groups of at least six and are schooling fish, which is not what the guy at my LFS told me. He said that they weren't. I was a little peeved when I found that out when I got home.

So I have a little bit of a problem on my hands. Ideally I just want one group of schooling fish of a single species and I cannot make up my mind whether to take back the 3 Danio's or the 3 Cherry barbs. My tank is 70 litres (not the biggest) and I've read that Danio's like to have lots of swimming space. I'm kind of leaning towards keeping the Cherry's as I've kinda fallen in love with them already. If I do decide to take back the Danio's how many more Cherry barbs should I get? Bearing in mind that I have a male and two females already?

Any suggestions on which ones I should keep?
I suggest 3 more cherry barbs. But i also suggest 6 of both species. But my Cherry Barbs haven't learnt when food comes and they may stay a bit hungry for a while. Luckily they don't get hangry. Also i suggest 2 males 4 females or simarlar fractions.

You are unlikely to get a response as the thread is 14 years old.
Yah, if those barbs are still alive he has miricle water and jesus as a room mate 😂

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back