Cherry barbs anything like Tiger barbs

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

desley

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hi,

I just added 2 cherry barbs (so cute) .. in with platties, guppies & danios.

Does anyone know if this is a good mix. I was sold tiger barbs once and they attacked my guppies tail fins so I took them back and changed to danios.

I am watching them and they seem to keep to themselves happy picking at peas at the bottom of the tank.

BUT .. I am going away on holidays for 1 week in a few days and would prefer to know if anyone else has had experience so I can put them in a bowl just in case.

Also, I read on the forum that fish can survive a week without feeding. Is this really better than using a small weekend feeder .. that way it's not too much but something ?????

And in an earlier thread I read somewhere that danios cannot take high temps. What would be considered high temps.

I did suspect ich in my tank a while ago and used salt and raised the temp and everyone survived (touch wood) bar 2 danios.

Thanks
Desley

my cherry barbs are fine with my guppies.

Tiger barbs are know to be fin nipper, and a guppies fancy tail waving in front them them is like giving a moth a flame

they should be fine!

Hi Doggfather,

THANKS !! They are such sweet little things and they really happy at the moment.

They looked like they could get picked on ... more than them being the bully.

Do you know if they breed like danios which to me at the moment seems hard ... I am really a beginner at tropical fish.

I have 2 guppy fry and 1 platty fry in my netted basket .. and don't want them to die while I am away for the week. The platty is about a month old and the guppy fry are about 1 week old.

Do you think a bit of plant in there with them would suffice.

Thanks again
Desley

to start off, you need to make sure you have a pair, the male is red, and the female is a dull, sort of brownish colour.

When they are ready to spawn, the males colour becomes a really intense red. When they do spawn they lay eggs (which usually get eaten) so to keep them alive you will need to put a net in, so they cannot get to the bottom of the tank and eat their eggs.

So yes, they do breed a bit like zebra danios

check out this article on them

http://www.aquarticles.com/articles/breedi...herry_Barb.html

I have 6 Cherry Barbs, 3 males and 3 females.

I love them - definitly one of the few community barbs. Although I had a tank with just one male in it and he turned into a bit of a bully so I'd make sure they're not by themselves.

Mine even put babies everywhere!! But they all got eaten :(

Yes, fish can survive a week without being fed and personally I think it is better than feeding them weekend feerer priamids or shells. This is because weekend feeders are made with plaster of Paris :blink: and most of the food is only available to bottom feeders :/ If you feed them right before you leave they will be just fine ;)

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back