Cherry Barbs And Ich

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Clarousel

Fishaholic
Reaction score
Hi guys I've been having this problem for a really long time and I just can't solve it.

My first stocking was 3 cherry barbs in my 5G. The tank was cycled and going well for 2 months (after cycling). Then I stupidly introduced ich with a plant from my dad's tank. That killed off all my cherry barbs, even with medication they just got worse.

After that I got a platy which I currently have. She had a white spot on her tail fin that I finally managed to get rid off a month ago after a long struggle with the ich (I used heat and meds). So after I cleared the ich, I got 3 cherry barbs again because I really missed having them. Had them for 2 weeks before ich struck again, a spot each on 1 barb and the platy! I guess the ich was still in the tank from before so I immediately popped the heater back in and upped the temp to 31C and dosed waterlife protozin. After the first day of treatment, the spot on the 1 cherry barb disappeared. I thought it'd go better this time but I was wrong. My cherry barbs got more lethargic although there were no new spots. I've already lost 1 barb and close to losing another. It's as though once they're ill they won't get better.

I'm wondering if this is due to my tank size or stocking? The thing I can't get is that why my cherry barbs just die off whereas my platy is still able to get better. Are cherry barbs less resistant? :/

How long was the heater set at 31'?

It has been a week already. Previously I had the temp at 31C for over 2 weeks for my platy but the spot still remained although there wasn't any flecking.

Im wondering whether the temperature is causing the long term issue. Althought turning up the heat to help cure Ich is recommended, if you have fish that prefer something around 20-22, thats pretty freaking hot for them, especially if sustaing/frequent and could be stressing them out, casuing the problems to worsen.

Just a thoery, would recommend waiting on a few other answers first!

Im wondering whether the temperature is causing the long term issue. Althought turning up the heat to help cure Ich is recommended, if you have fish that prefer something around 20-22, thats pretty freaking hot for them, especially if sustaing/frequent and could be stressing them out, casuing the problems to worsen.

Just a thoery, would recommend waiting on a few other answers first!

I was thinking the same thing! But when I had my first trio of cherry barbs I didn't have a heater and treated just with meds (although it didn't help one bit). I lost a second cherry barb and the last one's hanging at the surface... Oh and to add, their fins all began to rot away. I'm guessing stress but I'm not sure if it's the medication or heat.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back