Cherry Barbs and Celestial Pearl Danios

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

I don't know much about cherry barbs, but I have a CPD only tank and they do great when they have their own tank. You see them a lot more and they are out and about. I had a betta in there with them for a while and they used to be skittish and hide until I moved the betta. Just something to think about.

Fairly certain the barbs would eat the CPDs. CPDs are tiny fish, like, under 2cms in length. @seangee has most certainly said this a few times.

Fairly certain the barbs would eat the CPDs. CPDs are tiny fish, like, under 2cms in length. @seangee has most certainly said this a few times.
I did wonder about this but the ThinkFish Aquarium thing doesn't throw up any conflicts. Hence I thought I would ask, still leaning towards a shoal of CPDs and a shoal of Chilis Ras, but wonder if they would occupy too much of the same space.
(A species tank isn't off the cards yet either.)

CPDs are not quite that small, I’ve had them before and lovely fish, more like about 25mm but would not put them with cherry barbs anyhow.

Cherry barbs more active and larger so would probably make the CPDs skittish and hide more imho.

Chilli Rasboras would make much better tankmates with CPD as long as your water parameters are suitable for these guys.

CPDs are not quite that small, I’ve had them before and lovely fish, more like about 25mm but would not put them with cherry barbs anyhow.

Cherry barbs more active and larger so would probably make the CPDs skittish and hide more imho.

Chilli Rasboras would make much better tankmates with CPD as long as your water parameters are suitable for these guys.
Ah I was going off SF, says 'The largest officially-recorded specimen measured just 21 mm'
And I recall Seangee saying theyre tiny

They ARE small wee fish mine were around 20-25mm not under 20mm really.

Beautiful though.

Fully grown CPDs are not that small, but I have only ever seen tiny ones for sale. They are quite timid and easily chased off their food (even my cherry shrimps succeed in chasing them). They are also slow feeders, barbs will finish the food before the CPDs even realise its there. I think chillies would be a good match for them - can't say that from experience because mine are in separate tanks. As @Ch4rlie says, water parameters will be a consideration. Boraras really need soft, acidic water but the CPD are far more flexible in their requirements.

My water is soft and it was acidic out of the tap. LFS had sold out of Chili's but a new shipment was due.
Need to talk to the wee lad again over whether or not to go single species or not. Im beginning to feel CPDs may be a better starting point.

I vote to go single species CPD tank if you can. They are beautiful and wonderful to watch in their own tank. Another point to note just anecdotally, young CPDs seem to be much more sensitive to water quality issues than other fish in my experience. Make sure your water quality reading are pristine and stable before you add young CPDs. I lost several because I wasn't being as careful as I should have been on that point.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back