Cherry Barb ready to breed?

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

Morganna

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
Hey y'all!
I have 10 cherry barbs in my 29 gallon tank. 1:1 ratio males to females. The males don't settle down, constantly chasing the girls, which I wonder is a sign that they're ready to spawn? The females look a little plump, but not outrageously so. They are plump enough that instead of the tummy being perfectly round, there's almost a slight point to it.
I will continue to try and take a decent photo, but y'all understand how hard that is to do when they can't stay still for a millisecond.
IMG_20221106_184436911~2.jpg
IMG_20221106_184431329.jpg

Hey y'all!
I have 10 cherry barbs in my 29 gallon tank. 1:1 ratio males to females. The males don't settle down, constantly chasing the girls, which I wonder is a sign that they're ready to spawn? The females look a little plump, but not outrageously so. They are plump enough that instead of the tummy being perfectly round, there's almost a slight point to it.
I will continue to try and take a decent photo, but y'all understand how hard that is to do when they can't stay still for a millisecond.View attachment 304332View attachment 304333
I've never owned cherry barbs but seems to me that they are pregnant just wait for someone else to reply Goodluck hopefully they bread.

That male looks blood red. Breeding colors... And if the females are getting plump they could be filling with eggs!
Really cool!
I've never bred them but I've done some light reading on them and their breeding.
Hopefully someone can 100% confirm it.

Thank you all for replying! I truly appreciate it.
Now that I know that they are ready to breed, what should be my course of action? Do I remove them to somewhere they can spawn? And on that note, is there a way to help trigger the spawning?
I've never bred or raised fish before so I'm full of questions! 😄

if you leave them where they will spawn and the eggs /fry get eaten if you are serious about breeding them you will need to set up a breeding tank. easy to spawn the hardest bit will be growing on the fry I regularly breed cherry barbs

if you leave them where they will spawn and the eggs /fry get eaten if you are serious about breeding them you will need to set up a breeding tank. easy to spawn the hardest bit will be growing on the fry I regularly breed cherry barbs
Thank you for responding and answering my questions! I'm trying to research the breeding process.
What size tank or container would you recommend spawning them in? I would spawn them in the breeder and then put them back in their usual 29 gallon. What kind of process would you recommend for growing out the fry?

first thing I do is separate male and female and feed them up well for a week or two , when spawning them i use a plastic container with a mesh net size 14"inches long 7 " inches wide and 4 " inches depth I then use water from the main tank because I'm in a hard water area I use a quarter amount of rain water I place the fish in container late in the evening they usually spawn the following day I then remove the adult fish the eggs will hatch in 24-hours

IMG_4089.JPG

Wow! Perfect information!
Will the females be okay if I don't get a setup ready soon? I don't think I have everything necessary to purposely breed them at the moment.

cherry barbs breed regularly take your time getting everything setup , 2-weeks ago I setup a jar of paramecium I forgot all about it up into now
it is the best first food to be feed and the smallest of live foods

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back