Cherry Barb male colour...

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

CassCats

Fish Aficionado
Pet of the Month 🎖️
Fish of the Month 🌟
Reaction score
Normal for a male to never develop the deep dark cherry red? My single male has always been a slight pink with darker red patches. Hes housed with 5 females. They spawn off and on.

Other tankmates are platies, mollies, guppies, and cories.

received_905605813231302.jpeg

This js as vibrant as hes ever been.

Just curious if its just an anomaly or if theyre like other fish who display brighter colours to compete with other males around.

I have seen many a Cherry Bard at my LFS that where sort of lighter/more pale than the others. It could be a genetic problem or a breeding problem. (Whoever breed him didn’t have very good mates)

Nothing to worry about really. :)

I have seen many a Cherry Bard at my LFS that where sort of lighter/more pale than the others. It could be a genetic problem or a breeding problem. (Whoever breed him didn’t have very good mates)

Nothing to worry about really. :)
Awesome then. I worried maybe it was a stress thing and he was just perpetually unhappy.

My females boast more colour than he does

received_2735401896683787.jpeg

Ammonia 0
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 20
pH 8
Temperature 76F

Diet:
Omega One flakes
API algae wafers
Bug Bites
Aqueon Betta pellets
Omega One frozen brine and mysis shrimp
Steamed veggies
Wardley shrimp pellets

I try to rotate their food for variety

Tank is a 20g livebearer community (the barbs are there too as sole schooler, but contemplating moving them to another tank if need be, or rehoming if theyd be better off). Tank is planted with hornwort and filtered with Aquaclear 50 and Topfin 20 (so very overfiltered)

Water changes 50-70% every 5-7 days

And he is definitely male. The other 5 are females (yellow, orange, and brown colouring) and ive witnessed this fish spawning with several females and eggs have hatched (ive seen fry and attempted to raise a couple but none live past 2 weeks). Most are eaten.

Last edited:
How could he be unhappy with 5 females? ;) Maybe he is just worn out:wub: The females really do have a nice color pattern, those red fines stand out. For fry to survive on their own you really have to have a lot of hiding spots. I have 4 fry (glow light tetra) in my 55 gallon tank 3 hide in the floating hornwort.

It seems you are doing all that you can. I’d say he’s just stressed. Do you have a lot of hiding spots in his tank?

The colour may be paler because there is only one male.

From Seriously Fish's profile on cherry barbs
"males will develop better colours in the presence of conspecific rivals "

If you get another male, they could well both be brighter coloured than your currently lone male.

If you get another male, they could well both be brighter coloured than your currently lone male.
Makes sense

It seems you are doing all that you can. I’d say he’s just stressed. Do you have a lot of hiding spots in his tank?
Yep, lots of rocky caves, driftwood snags, and the hornwort.

Hm... i will consider another male, but if it isnt anything to worry about i dont mind the colouring. I don't know if a 20 gallon would give enough space for 2 males. They're very peaceful and mild mannered fish, but the boy can have some attitude, i dunno if id want to poke a sleeping bear by adding another boy.

If you don't mind the colouring it may be best to leave well alone. But if you ever got a bigger tank and moved the barbs over, that would the time to get another male as they would both be new to the same tank.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back