chemi clean

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

Salt Freak

Fishaholic
Reaction score
well i live in houston and rita is going to be hitting it so no power for a couple of days know i'm making alot of water to do a lot of water changes but my protein skimmer wont be working and i am kinda of iffy if i should use chemi clean it is suppose to dissolve organic material. also worried about light because my clam and some of my other corals wont have light for a couple of days. has any body had to run there tanks with no electricity for a couple of days. I do have a battery powered air pumps i plan on using that to keep oxygen levels up.

Dont worry about the lights. At worst the zooanthea will increase to try asnd get more light and thus the colour will drain from your corals/inverts. As long as this is only for a few days (i had my light out of action for 1 week with no problems).

The battery powered pumps will be a great addition to the air and circulation which means the bacteria will no weaken and diminish.

To keep the temperature up (should you need it) you can simply get a couple of empty bottles of coke and put hot water in them., then let them float in the tank. When they cool off you simply add more.

If you have battery powered pumps working in the system then the bacteria will handle much of hte waste material.. Tanks can operate without protien skimmers so having one out of action for a few days will not be a huge concern. I would not do a water change unless absolutely needed. WHen the power is returned then you should make a large water change to help remove and dissolved organics. Feed sparingly to help decrease the nutrients in the water.

the problem is not keeping it hot but keeping it cold i;m freezing 8 gallons of water to help it keep cool but what about light and the clam this helps though thanks.

I had a deresa clam with no lights for just over a week whilst i was waiting for a new set of halides to be delivered after my old ones blew up :angry:

Most reactions

Back