cheapest way to plant a large tank?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Jade107

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I've recently acquired a 55 gallon tank. I've never had a tank this large, my previous was a 20 gallon. Anyway, I really want to do a planted tank but just realized how much the damn plants actually cost. Anyone have any tips on where to buy some cheaper plants? I live in north east Florida and was wondering (if i review some laws) if there were any native plants I could take from ponds/creeks that would grow in my aquarium? I just have no idea how to plant this whole thing without it costing me a few hundred dollars. I have a few swords & java ferns in there now but it looks pretty pathetic haha.

At petsmart they sell tissue culture plants for pretty cheap. Get a stem plant that you can cut and replant. It will take a while but you can eventually multiply your plant numbers. I did this with water wisteria from petsmart and it worked out wonderfully.

Another way is to get plants that reproduce once settled. Sword plants will send out an inflorescence once established (may be a few months), and adventitious plants form along this flower spike (flowers usually won't). You can easily get 4-7 new plants from one parent at a time. The chain swords are good substrate-level plants, and once settled they send out runners and will in a few months cover the entire substrate if you let them go.

I've recently acquired a 55 gallon tank. I've never had a tank this large, my previous was a 20 gallon. Anyway, I really want to do a planted tank but just realized how much the damn plants actually cost. Anyone have any tips on where to buy some cheaper plants? I live in north east Florida and was wondering (if i review some laws) if there were any native plants I could take from ponds/creeks that would grow in my aquarium? I just have no idea how to plant this whole thing without it costing me a few hundred dollars. I have a few swords & java ferns in there now but it looks pretty pathetic haha.
Hello!
I just wanted to jump in and tell you about an online retailer that I highly recommend. I've bought from these people before and they are VERY reasonable, especially with their shipping charges! They are also very helpful and answer any questions you might have. Their website is called 'Trins Tropical Fish' and you can find them at:
http://trinsfish.com/
Good luck!!
Lisa

You can also get cuttings from stem plants and plant them, Buy larger plants and cut them in half.

My local Pet Barn sells Anubias on bits of wood for 15 to 20 dollars and I only pick the bits with 3 plants or more on them then I split the plants up.

Buy small plants or tissue culture for harder plants.

The other thing you need is time for everything to grow in and if conditions are right it will grow in fast.

generally your lfs will sell very cheep fast growing plants(to be fair im not sure abou there) that cost about R5 which converts to about $ 0,37

One way to start is to get plants that spread through runners in the substrate such as Dwarf hair grass or Staurogyne Reopens. These would spread without any action on your part other than weekly aquarium maintenance. Then gradually you you could add larger plants.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back