Cheap Fake Plants? Advice?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

mrstwalker

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
If you have ever stepped foot into a store, then you probably have seen the fake flowers/ greenery most stores like the Dollar Store, Michael's, Wal Mart etc. have to offer. I was wondering if anyone has used these fake plants in their aquariums or if that is even safe to do? 

Thanks for the advice!

And if you dont know what I am talking about, here are some links to show you what I mean:
http://www.michaels.com/flowers-and-greenery/flowers/809188371
http://www.dollartree.com/household/floral/flowers-bushes/500c559c562/index.cat

I've seen others do it before. I don't think it's an issue unless it has some weird paint on it or something.

If you want to try these, be sure there is no glitter, no waxy stuff, no perfume, no paint (scratch it with your fingernail to see), or anything else like that. To prevent putting weird chemicals in the tank, drop the crafting flowers in some hot water with white vinegar and let it soak. Then rinse a few times with tap water. Let the plants dry. They should not smell like craft store. If they do, they may be unsafe to add to the tank.

they should be save to use but I wouldn't recommend them.
Life plants help to prefent algea growth. A tank that has no living plants in them are almost a guarentee for lots and lots of algae.

Bubbelzzz said:
they should be save to use but I wouldn't recommend them.
Life plants help to prefent algea growth. A tank that has no living plants in them are almost a guarentee for lots and lots of algae.
This is not necessarily true. Regular water changes and a reduced photoperiod will usually manage algae in a non-planted aquarium.

Two-sided reply here :lol:

I wouldn't let anything that is not specifically labeled as aquarium safe anywhere near my tanks.

If I did for some reason or another decide to try this, attibones is giving you great advice on what to look out for, but I will add another thing to ponder:

Most arrangements are made with some type of supporting wire which cause 2 specific problems.

1) Exposed wires hurting the fish
2) Ensuring you know exactly which metal is used, sense many metals will harm tank parameters.  For example, copper is not good in an aquarium.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back