Channa-ornatipinnis Have Laid Eggs..drawf Snakeheads

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

Some species of Cichlid only mouth brood the fry once the eggs hatch, Satanoperca jurapari is one example I can think of from the top of my head, it could be that C.ornatipinnis mouth brood in the same way.

Congrats Nelly, job well done.

Yes thats what we were discussing earlier with my snakehead enthusiast :good:
maybe they do not feel threatened or maybe they move fry from one place to another via the mouth or the fry were threatened :unsure:

thanks cfc :D

Yes thats what we were discussing earlier with my snakehead enthusiast :good:
maybe they do not feel threatened or maybe they move fry from one place to another via the mouth or the fry were threatened :unsure:

thanks cfc :D

hi mate ,

i can confirm after talking to ralf britz , that when he collected the holotype they found fry near the parent and going off the head shape guessed they where mouthbrooders , this was only an assumption that was made and got turned into truth via the web .

ralf has checked the pics and confirms that this is 100% ornatipinis and sends his congratulatios .

keep up the good work

colb

Also I have been watching them and he keeps picking them up in his mouth then about 30secs to 1minute later spits the eggs out from his gill's backwoods. Where they float back up into the feeding ring :blink:

Congrats Nelly! I keep checking back here hoping for good news...any idea of hatching time?

Thats a good sign Nelly, for their first time they seem to know what to do well enough :)

Also I have been watching them and he keeps picking them up in his mouth then about 30secs to 1minute later spits the eggs out from his gill's backwoods. Where they float back up into the feeding ring :blink:

hatch time is 1-2 days?

nelly> when did you see them spawn? could we get a few hatching today or tomorrow?

im excited for you...keep up with the pics!

wooo, lol, congrats, get some pictures up if you can focus on them??? :p
your wish is my command.....hey presto
snake035.jpg

snake001-1.jpg

snake019-1.jpg

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back