Changing Tank Setups

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

noodles

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
hi,

currently got a nice set up of community fish but interesting in moving to a rift lake setup with the current tank. obviously i would need to start from scratch right down to the bare tank as I am not allowed/do not have space for a second tank. :)

I am sure this is a common occurence in the forum, but what do you do with your fish that are no longer wanted? take them back to the LFS and try to get a part exchange? sell them privately? give them away?

whats the most successful and least hassle method? and of course I am quite attached to some of the inhabitants, just fancy doing something different...

most petshops will take your fish back and give you a credit for them. The credit is usually about 1/2 the retail price of the fish. You can use the credit to buy plants, fish, etc.

Just ring your LFS and tell them what you have and ask if they will take them back. They might say bring them in today or leave it till next week.

If you remove all your current fish and do a massive water change and gravel clean, you can add some rift lake conditioner and add some fish the next day. Then just monitor the ammonia and nitrite levels. They should be ok but might go up a little bit for a few days. There should be no reason to scrap the tank and start again. Just change the substrate and add rocks. Leave the filter running.

colins on the money most lfs will sort somethin out for you as not only do they get your fish but the credit they give you is spent in there shop so they make a profit on that to
:good: scot

If you know a local club, you can sell to some fellow fish keepers
Or if you post your location you might even find some ppl here.
Most ppl would be willing to pay a bit more than what the LFS would offer, so everyones happy

Its a bit more work, but it also ensures your fish get a proper home as well. (They arent going to end up in some 10 gallon tank with no heater)

thanks everyone for your ideas, i hadn't thought about just changing the substrate and decor and re-using the filters and some of the water.... and as for getting new fish the next day, i hadnt even considered that one!

now I really do have some planning to get on with!

cheers all.

Most reactions

Back