Changing substrate

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Tl52505

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Is there any easy way to change the substrate in my tank that doesn’t involve completely removing everything, because all of the ways I have heard seem like a pain

gravel clean the substrate one day.

the following day use a net to scoop the gravel out and put it in a bucket.

have clean gravel/ sand ready to go and then use a small plastic container to scoop the new gravel up and lower the container into the tank. Then gently pour the new sand/ gravel onto the base of the aquarium.

use a basic model "gravel cleaner" like the one in the following link to clean the gravel while it is in the tank.

You can buy them or make one from a 1, 1.5 or 2 litre plastic drink bottle and garden hose.

Cut the bottom off the bottle.
Remove the cap and plastic ring from the top of the bottle.
Throw the cap, ring and bottom piece in the recycling.

Put a garden hose or plastic hose in the top of the bottle and run the hose out the door or into a bucket (depending on the length of the hose).

Start water syphoning out the hose.
Push the bottle into the gravel and lift it up.
The gunk in the gravel gets removed with some water.

Can I add to this, would there also be an easier way, including the method above, what would work with 25kg of ocean rock?

Swapping the gravel is the easy part keeping all that establish bacteria is going to be the hard part , depending on the size of the tank and the depth of your substrate I’d think carefully on weather your tank can endure the change

Swapping the gravel is the easy part keeping all that establish bacteria is going to be the hard part , depending on the size of the tank and the depth of your substrate I’d think carefully on weather your tank can endure the change
It is a 37 gallon tank and the substrate is about an inch deep

I changed from gravel to sand recently and this is what worked well for me. I emptied 40% of my water (my fish are used to this). In the water id taken out, I put all my plants an ornaments, going careful to make sure I didn't remove any of the beneficial bacteria. Once my tank was cleared of all ornaments and live plants, I lowered my filter so it was fully submerged (you don't want that to dry). Once that was done, I began to scoop the gravel very carefully around my fish, using a sieve. It took a while because I didn't want to stress the fish, but it worked a treat. Then to add the sand, obvious I cleaned it well before, I used about 12kg for my tank and washed it around 2kg at a time. I filled a sports bottle up with the sand and screwed the lid tight. Lowered it in the water and then opened the lid and distributed where necessary. Once it was done, I added my ornaments and re-planted my live plants. I then added back the 40% id taken out.

Some may have a better solution, but this worked well for me. My water looked a tad rough for a day or 2, as expected, but my parameters remained very good throughout the days after. I didn't clean it for 3 weeks just to let it settle properly. Hope it goes well for you 👍👍

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back