Changing substrate

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

CraigDalton

Reaction score
Hi

In my 200L aquarium I have just got gravel substrate but I would really like to use sand instead. I know how to add the sand while water is in the tank but I'm just wondering if anyone would have any tips for removing the gravel first. I know disturbing the substrate too much can cause an ammonia spike but I'm not really sure how to do it without just grabbing piles of gravel at a time. Also I have some dwarf saggartia which is sort of spread roots throughout the gravel too.

Put the fish in a spare tank or large tub if you have one, and drain the water from your tank. It's the best way to do it - a full reset will just be better in my opinion.

Shovel out the gravel using your hands, a big scooper, or other. Hose it down outdoors and do what you please with it. Clean out the bottom of the tank if there's lots of residue from the gravel, and fill up with the sand.
Add in any rocks, plants, e.t.c. and fill the tank with the right temp of water, w/ dechlorinator. After about an hour when I did this, I put the fish back in.

If you haven't done this before, I will warn you that it takes all day, or the better part of a day if you're quick.
Wishing you the best of luck! Would love to see when the tank's done. Don't forget to take before and after photos to admire the transformation!

Put the fish in a spare tank or large tub if you have one, and drain the water from your tank. It's the best way to do it - a full reset will just be better in my opinion.

Shovel out the gravel using your hands, a big scooper, or other. Hose it down outdoors and do what you please with it. Clean out the bottom of the tank if there's lots of residue from the gravel, and fill up with the sand.
Add in any rocks, plants, e.t.c. and fill the tank with the right temp of water, w/ dechlorinator. After about an hour when I did this, I put the fish back in.

If you haven't done this before, I will warn you that it takes all day, or the better part of a day if you're quick.
Wishing you the best of luck! Would love to see when the tank's done. Don't forget to take before and after photos to admire the transformation!
Thanks very much! You have been super helpful. The substrate would hold the bulk of the beneficial bacterial. Would it just be OK to add in the bottled stuff? Also as the tank has 200L it would take a while for the heater to get the water to an acceptable temperature for the fish. Is it okay to add some hot water from the tap to heat the water. I know the cold water is more oxygenated so I would use cold tap water also as if I was just doing a water change.
Also with a sand substrate. Would I be right in saying that its easier maintenan as you only need to skim over the top of the surface slightly with the vacuum to clean it

I agree with @PlasticGalaxy , the only way to do this without even more stress to not only the fish but yourself, is to set up a temporary tank for the fish. Use water from the existing tank to fill the temp tank, move over the filter and have it running, and prob the heater, and put some of the plants in, just leave them floating, no need to plant them, and one or more chunks of wood/decor so the fish will be more calm.

When you are done and fill the tank, run the water into a large bowl set on the substrate; less sand will be disturbed. Use hot and cold, as close to the temp of the water in the temporary tank as you can. Use all fresh water, no value in the old water. I always aquascape the tank with maybe half of the tank with water, then drain it completely and fill with fresh; dechlorinate. If you have live plants, no need to fuss over "cycling." You can use a bacterial supplement if it makes you feel better, but I don't, provided you have good plants and some floaters really help.

Yes on cleaning the sand; even this may not be needed, it depends upon the fish and provided you do not overfeed.

Thanks very much! You have been super helpful. The substrate would hold the bulk of the beneficial bacterial. Would it just be OK to add in the bottled stuff?
Go ahead, use it as instructed on the bottle. Like @Byron, I don't personally use it anymore but it can be useful to have around in a pinch.
Also as the tank has 200L it would take a while for the heater to get the water to an acceptable temperature for the fish. Is it okay to add some hot water from the tap to heat the water. I know the cold water is more oxygenated so I would use cold tap water also as if I was just doing a water change.
Assuming your tank is tropical, I would hook a garden hose up to your sink tap and get it to roughly the right temperature. Once it's full, the heater will adjust the temperature if it's a little too cold. Until then, keep the fish in the temp tank.
Also with a sand substrate. Would I be right in saying that its easier maintenan as you only need to skim over the top of the surface slightly with the vacuum to clean it
Definitely. If the sand is uneven or something's trapped under it, I poke at it with some long tweezers to adjust it quickly. Really easy to clean, fun for the fish too. I changed to sand back in April and don't regret it for a second. Only downsides are that plants may pop up if not rooted into it deep enough, and bigger bottom dwelling fish - like plecs (as my predictable example) - may kick it up. Goes all over the surrounding rocks, leaves, decor, e.t.c. Easy to fix though, so it's not all that bad really.

If you have a large enough section of tubing you could always just siphon out the gravel as you are siphoning the water out.

I have a 1.5” diameter piece of tube that I have used in the past to get the substrate out of the tank.

Is it okay to add some hot water from the tap to heat the water
That depends on your hot water system. Assuming Northern Ireland has the same boiler types as the rest of the UK, it is OK to use hot tap water with a combi boiler, it is not OK if you have a hot water cylinder fed from a cold water header tank in the attic. In this case, add a few kettlefuls of boiling water.

Most reactions

Back