Changing Substrate Advice

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

jackhorn01

Reaction score
Recently getting back into the aquarium hobby, started a 10 gallon to play with, learn the way of the times and get back into the swing of things. Used regular ole pet shop gravel. After looking at it more and more and researching and updating my knowledge deeper into this hobby, I'm realizing more and more of what I overlooked in the past and one of the main things is substrate. I want to switch to sand as 1 it looks 100% more natural and awesome. Fish will like it better especially cory. First thing is I have seen some recommend play sand and several other options. I am liking the look and sound of this CaribSea super naturals moonlight sand that is especially designed for freshwater tanks. Has anyone used this? Liked it? Second is so many different recommendations on how to do it. Take fish out don't. Partial or all at one time. One read I came across actually made the most sense to me. Experienced peeps chime in here and give me your two cents. So it said to do it all at one time and moving the fish causes them even more stress to just move slowly and get it done. Clean gravel 1 day, change substrate the next. Opinions on this?

When you change the substrate, do the entire substrate at one go. Not only is this far less stress on the fish (if any are already in the tank), it is safer in case there are anaerobic patches (which are natural, but nasty if you disturb it and it alone can kill fish).

The choice of sand is a good one, as plants grow very well and most fish are better with sand. And as you said, it certainly is more natural. Not all sands are the same, and here is where the fish are the deciding factor. You mention cories, so I will cut to the chase--do not use any industrial sand except for quality play sand. There are also aquarium sands that are OK, provided they are inert (some are marine mineral sands). As for colour, this is more important than some realize, as it does affect fish, especially substrate fish. You never want white, nor black. Both cause issues for cories as one example. A "natural" darkish sand is fine.

You are in NA so one quality play sand is Quilkrete Play Sand, I had this for over a decade. Home Depot and Lowe's carry it, and the is a dark grey and a tan sand, either is fine.

I have no direct experience with the CarribSea sands, so I woold just repeat my cautions above--no white, black or multi-colour, and inert.

Awesome, thanks for the reply. Next question. And I believe once I sort this one out, I'll be good for at least a while. Filtration. I am using the tera internal power filter that came with the set up. Has the carbon cartridges and such. Is this fine for the 10 gallon aquarium? Or is there something not too expensive that is way better?

I have some Carib Sea Sunset Gold in a tank and it's good sand. (The Moonlight is too white IMO)

Here's what the Carib Sea Sunset Gold looks like...

1673989674847.jpeg

I have Quikrete play sand in another tank and here's what that looks like...

1673989733018.jpeg

The biggest difference is that I paid about $10 for 5 pounds of the Carib Sea sand, and about $6 for 50 pounds of the Quikrete play sand.

Awesome, thanks for the reply. Next question. And I believe once I sort this one out, I'll be good for at least a while. Filtration. I am using the tera internal power filter that came with the set up. Has the carbon cartridges and such. Is this fine for the 10 gallon aquarium? Or is there something not too expensive that is way better?

Filtration, like the substrate, should be decided based upon the requirements of the intended fishes. If we are still thinking the 10g tank, the only fish suited will be small ones, termed "nano" fish. None of these like or need strong currents, so my filter of choice in this size tank is a single sponge filter connected to an air pump. I had this for years, and in my 20g and 29g and even a 40g I had a dual sponge filter. Fish were all quiet water and I had plants, especially a cover of floating plants, so this was ideal. Sponge filters keep the water clear, crystal clear, and the plants keep it clean, though sponge filters are also good biological filters on their own. Photos of the dual sponge filter below.

Second to these there are good internal filters like the Aqueon Quiet Flow series (photo below). I used one of these in my 40g tank that housed my 40-odd cories, just to provide good circulation. Spnge filters do not do this, they are not meant to, but cories can have CO2 issues especially with lots of plants like I had, and stronger flow solves this. There is a higher gas exchange at the surface. I do not know the Tetra internal filter, but if it is the Whisper 101 filter it might be OK or it might not depending upon the flow adjustment if any, and directional flow. The Aqueon has controls for both.

Attachments

• sponge filter.jpg
    sponge filter.jpg
    28.9 KB · Views: 14
  • Aqueon Quiet Flow Filter.jpg
    Aqueon Quiet Flow Filter.jpg
    57.1 KB · Views: 13
  • Aqueon Quiet Flow Filter2.jpg
    Aqueon Quiet Flow Filter2.jpg
    219.2 KB · Views: 13
I’d do it in one fell swoop. Be sure to keep the temporary holding bowl, pot, whatever covered. I had a few small fish leap from a big pot onto the counter & had the good fortune to be standing there & saved them.

I absolutely love the Carib Sea Torpedo Beach sand. I have a few 100 pounds I bet.

Thanks for all the replies. I have decided to go with the carib sea sand. What is everyones take on what I mentioned about the filter. Right now its the one that came with the package. The tetra whisper whatever internal with the bio sponge pad in front of the replaceable carbon / charcoal whatever it is insert. The tank is going to be planted eventually.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back