Changing Ph Levels

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

mbpted

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
In my continuing effort to learn more, I've discovered that my pH levels are not as stable as I thought they were.

I had posted before that I had a high pH level, but I had been testing it with a kit with a low-pH tester. When I finally tested it with a high pH tester it came out with a high 8.2 ppm. As I was trying to acclimate new fish at the time, I was doing a very extensive drip acclimation - with limited success.

My goal was not to reduce the pH level because I was told that a stable level was better than trying to reduce it to a level that my fish would be more comfortable with. However, I finally tested the tap water - which would seem obvious, but again - I'm a beginner.

The results were 7.2-7.4 ppm. When I added it to the tank, and after adding the conditioner and other bio helping chemicals, it leveled at about 7.4. The next day it was about 7.8, a day later, 8.0, after testing this morning (two days later) it was up to 8.2 again.

Before I tested this, I removed all the extra river rocks we were using as decorations. These were found rocks we had bleached, vinegared and thoroughly washed. What was left were the original bottom cover I bought when I set up the tank way back in April (7 months ago). These are small black river rocks I picked up at a local hardware store. Washed and rinsed before adding them to the tank - they have been through countless water changes since. We also have about half a dozen small plastic plants, and several clear glass balls, not sure where they come from.

My suspicion is that my river rocks are causing the slow increase in pH. When the larger decorative stones were in the tank, I was getting an 8.2 reading the day after a water change. Without them it's taken several days to work it's way up. This is not the stable pH levels I've been told I should have, and I'm guessing this is a factor in the problems I've been having acclimating new fish to the tank.

Should I replace the river rocks with gravel from a fish store? Any advise would be appreciated.

Before replacing the rocks, take a glass of tap water and test it. Then test again 24 hrs later adding an airstone will speed the process up. The test is to see if you have excess CO2 in the water. CO2 lowers pH, as it leaves the water the buffers in the water will raise the pH.

Have you tested for gH and kH of your water?

Are you running CO2 in your tanks?

Have you any Bogwood in your tank?

In terms of the pH Changes, some substrates (such as peat moss under gravel) will lower pH and keep it there. Bogwood can help to lower your pH (due to the fact it has been lying in a bog with Peat). Maybe add some of this. However you are correct in your thoughts of a steady pH is better than messing around with is. AVOID CHEMICAL BUFFERS such as pH down. this will reak havock on your fish help. I say if your fish show no signs of suffering, then leave it. Just monitor fish help over time. :good:

Before replacing the rocks, take a glass of tap water and test it. Then test again 24 hrs later adding an airstone will speed the process up. The test is to see if you have excess CO2 in the water. CO2 lowers pH, as it leaves the water the buffers in the water will raise the pH.
You called it! Water from the tap was 7.4 ppm and a day later it had climbed to 8.0 ppm.

Have you tested for gH and kH of your water?
I don't have the tests to measure this. I test for the following:

pH: Currently at 7.8 ppm, but I did a 50% weekly water change less than 24 hours ago. I expect it to climb to 8.2 by mid-week.

Ammonia: 0 ppm.

Nitrite: 0 ppm.

Nitrate: 5.0 ppm.

Are you running CO2 in your tanks?
I have a Carbon filtration system. It's recommended that I change the filters every 4-6 weeks. I'm due to change it in another week.

When I do a water change, I add a Water Conditioner to remove the chlorine. The girl at the Local Fish Store also recommended "Microbe-Lift Special Blend - a Complete Ecosystem in a Bottle," 10ml when I do a water change. She also recommended adding a table spoon of Aquarium Salt to keep the fish healthy.

I've curtained the room where the tank sits and have reduced the amount of time I keep the light on in the tank to keep the green algae from clouding the water.

Have you any Bogwood in your tank?
Not at the moment.

In terms of the pH Changes, some substrates (such as peat moss under gravel) will lower pH and keep it there. Bogwood can help to lower your pH (due to the fact it has been lying in a bog with Peat). Maybe add some of this. However you are correct in your thoughts of a steady pH is better than messing around with is. AVOID CHEMICAL BUFFERS such as pH down. this will reak havock on your fish help. I say if your fish show no signs of suffering, then leave it. Just monitor fish help over time. :good:
Well, if my pH is increasing over time, then I don't have steady pH. (obvious!) If adding Bogwood or Peat moss will steady the pH levels, then I'll give it a try.

adding salt is not always a good idea... to some species it can be deadly...freshwater fish do not need salt although some, black mollies for instance, do benefit from a very small addition of salt. Salt will also play with your Ph levels(Kh and Gh too).... What else do you have in the filter apart from what you change every six to eight weeks (this is more of a gimmick to sell you stuff though)

Ditch that Microbe-Lift Special Blend. They are just trying to get you to spend money with them. You dont need any chemicals in the tank. Carbon is used to remove things such as tannins and medicines from the water. Personally I dont bother with it.

Aquarium Salt isn't needed at all. It can be beneficial for treating certain ailments and some fish do like it, but the majority do not. Leave the salt for a quarantine tank mate :good:

The best way to keep it stable, is prepare the water a few days prior to your water change. This will keep the pH up, but stable.

The best way to keep it stable, is prepare the water a few days prior to your water change. This will keep the pH up, but stable.
I've thought about this, but it's not very practical for my situation. I have no place to store the water as it prepares itself.

Most reactions

trending

Back