Changing My Internal Filter...

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

214jay

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
Hello.  I have decided to change my internal filter on my small tank to a slightly larger one that is more 'shrimp friendly'.  Unfortunately I do not have the option of leaving the new one in the tank with the existing one as I have lots of shrimplets and fear for their safety.

There is no problem putting my filter media from the old filter into the new but there is far more media in the new one...Will it be enough just cramming the old media in there?  Or am I going to kick start a mini-cycle?

Can the new media be "cut down" to reduce it's physical size, and then try and get as much of the old media in it's place without restricting the flow too much?

If it were me, I'd just take out the media from the new one so as to fit ALL of the old media in and then whatever room is left, use some of the new stuff to fill in the gaps. Your mature media bacteria will soon make it's way to your new media and you'll be right as rain.

I doubt very much if a mini cycle would kick in especially if you use all your old media and if it's a shrimp only tank!

Yes should be able to cut the new media down and stick all of the old stuff in.

Its not a shrimp only tank, has snails, Celestial Pearl Danios and a Honey Gourami too!

Should still be OK...you're using the same amount of media in the same tank with no change other than an increase in flow turnover. Just make sure you use 100% of the old stuff and cut up the new bits to fill the gaps. 

What I did with hob filters to make them shrimp safe was to buy an aquaclear sponge (about $2) and cut a notch in it. Put the filter into the notch. Works well and will keep your shrimp from getting into the filter. Or you could just take some mesh or pantyhose and tie that over the filter intake.

Unfortunately the previous filter was really badly made so it was not the main intake that was killing them but the holes everywhere at the top of the filter that also suck in water, such as the flow adjuster, clips on the side and back, the gap by the output pipe....basically the pump sucked in from everywhere and unless I covered the whole filter in panyhose then it would suck shrimp in!]]

My new filter only sucks in from the bottom and thats protected by a fine pond mesh so job is a goodun!

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back