Changing filter media

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Dasmms45

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
My hob tetra filter keeps overflowing and bubbling over, tried cleaning sponge carefully but doesnt solve it.
I just put a brand new filter insert in and it's not overflowing now.
How can I put a new one in without losing bacteria?

Attachments

• 16536596235172574466943770091676.jpg
    16536596235172574466943770091676.jpg
    204.2 KB · Views: 40
  • 16536596779932570488857129288136.jpg
    16536596779932570488857129288136.jpg
    252.8 KB · Views: 31
Ideally you should avoid changing media until it pretty much disintegrates....monthly as per the box instructions (they want you to buy more ;) )

To stop backflow on an old cartridge, wash it in old aquarium water....rub cartridge gently but firmly tween finger and thumb (gloves on advised) until the bulk of the muck is off, then put back into the filter as normal

Ok so be a bit rougher with it then, I was worried I'd wash good stuff away

Media cartridges can take a fair amount of punishment and you'll never completely lose the good stuff unless you wash it under a running tap...then you will absolutely lose it all. So always use the used aquarium water for all your filtration maintenance....and ignore the box instructions about throwing away the cartridge after 4 weeks or however long it tells you

When you do change the cartridge, try and cram some of the old one beside it tween inlet and cartridge so that the new cartridge gets a dose of the good stuff via the flow of the water coming into the filter body.

So basically squeeze out till it's not brown anymore and looks clean? The water I rinsed with is brown lol

You could also try DIY media so you don't have to keep buying cartridges. I like to use some course sponge, filter floss and ceramic rings in my HOB. I have yet to replace any media in the 3 years my tank has been running. Except for the filter floss which start to disintegrate after a couple of months.

Take the old cartridge in both hands, squeeze and rub the surfaces tween fingers and thumbs, rinse it thoroughly in old aquarium water until the bulk of the loose detritus and poo is completely off, then put back into the filter

Take the old cartridge in both hands, squeeze and rub the surfaces tween fingers and thumbs, rinse it thoroughly in old aquarium water until the bulk of the loose detritus and poo is completely off, then put back into the filter
I'll do that cheers

So basically squeeze out till it's not brown anymore and looks clean? The water I rinsed with is brown lol
That is correct.

I stopped using sponges a long time ago, and use poly floss from WalMart, instead. Install a fresh piece weekly, during water changes...no more nasty sponges to deal with, and it leaves more room in my HOBs for ceramic media.

My tanks are well established, so losing a wee bit of BB weekly does not harm my cycle....if I even lose any, at all

Last edited:
You could also try DIY media so you don't have to keep buying cartridges. I like to use some course sponge, filter floss and ceramic rings in my HOB.
Is the sponge the stuff you can buy in pet shops, like a green square or whatever and cut to size?

You could also try DIY media so you don't have to keep buying cartridges. I like to use some course sponge, filter floss and ceramic rings in my HOB.
Definitely the cheaper and easier option tbh

Remember the filter manufacturer wants you to keep spending money on their replacement products......somewhere like Pro-Shrimp sell all the media that you need. Its where I get mine from for my filters...way cheaper.

Is the sponge the stuff you can buy in pet shops, like a green square or whatever and cut to size?

Yes the sponges the pet store sells can be cut to size. Look for course sponge and a small pack of ceramic rings for extra surface area for your BB. Wasmewasntit posted more examples of media you could use. I like to layer my media with course sponge first, filter floss then the ceramic rings on top.

Ahh that's similar foam to what I meant
What's tinted glass for??

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back