Changing Betta’s tank

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

BettaKitty

Reaction score
Hello,

I was thinking it’s time to upgrade Betta’s tank from his 1.5 to a 3 gallon. Finally trust I know how to take care of him.

Would it be harmful to put him into a totally different newly cycled tank (water, plants, substrate type etc). Would I need to put a lot of my current tank’s water in the new tank?

Also…he would be less than 6 feet away from another betta tank. Would that be ok? Thanks!

Same substrate, ornaments, plants, and filter (or media from the old filter) should be fine. The beneficial bacteria grows on surfaces not free in the water (though the water will contain some)
yeah still cycle it though
3 gallons is still small, I'd go for 5 gallons.
make sure it has enough surface area on the top so the betta can breathe good
try and go as big as you can

BUMP:

I‘m going to move Blue at the weekend and though that if his existing substrate and filter was moved to the new tank along with the plants, then the tank wouldn’t need to be ‘cycled’ as the filter is already cycled…

Have I got that right, or not..? 🤦‍♀️🤷‍♀️🤔

Yes, if you move everything over, the new tank should be cycled. But I would check the levels every day until you are sure as mini spikes can sometimes occur after messing with a tank. I've never seen a mini spike when I've moved everything from one tank to another but it's best to be safe.

Edit - don't forget there will be bacteria on the decor as well as in the filter. But you will lose the ones on the tank walls.

Yes, if you move everything over, the new tank should be cycled. But I would check the levels every day until you are sure as mini spikes can sometimes occur after messing with a tank. I've never seen a mini spike when I've moved everything from one tank to another but it's best to be safe.

Edit - don't forget there will be bacteria on the decor as well as in the filter. But you will lose the ones on the tank walls.
Thank you 🙂

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back