Change Of Direction

Jamepsss

Fish Addict
Reaction score
Right, I've currently got two planted tanks My Roma 200 and my Roma 125.

I'm finding it difficult to maintain both tanks as planted, when one looks good the other suffers and vice versa. I've been doing a lot of thinking lately and I'm pretty sure I want to go a different way with the 125.

Despite having loads of questions about various things I don't want to make this opening post TOO long. After seeing a spate of nice cichlid set-ups lately I'm pretty sure I've got my heart set on something along them lines.

My main question for this post then is are there a PAIR of new world cichlids (that aren't dwarves) that are suitable for a 125L tank? I've read all sorts lately and I keep being drawn to Firemouths and Convicts.

What I want to do is have a pair only, in a species tank and make a biotope for them with wood, rocks and moss as the only greenery. But then I've read how easily convicts breed and the difficulties in re-homing the fry etc. Firemouth females are hard to come by etc etc and all sorts of other things.

Maybe this should be in the new-world section but I'm looking for suggestions from everyone and I'm open to other ideas too.

So what would you do if you were me? (Another tank is NOT an option unfortunately).

Very obvious probably but a breeding pair of angels? Buy 5 or 6 juvis and let a pair form, then rehome the rest.

Would look good in a sparsely decorated tank using only bogwood.

Very obvious probably but a breeding pair of angels? Buy 5 or 6 juvis and let a pair form, then rehome the rest.

Would look good in a sparsely decorated tank using only bogwood.

I should have also said, not angels. I already have one and I'm looking for a more typical cichlid shape :good:

keyholes?

That's not a bad shout. Always thought they were small but they actually reach a decent size :good:

How about a pair of Steatocranus cichlids (casuarius, tinanti, gibbiceps etc.), which reach ~10cm for females and ~15cm for males, along with a small group of African riverine "dithers" (Arnoldichthys spilopterus, Alestopeterus caudalis etc.)?

22-24C, low/diffused lighting, ~1500lph of filtration, a generous spread of stone caves throughout bottom (you could add some hardy Anubias or Java Fern plants that need very little maintenance).

How about a pair of Steatocranus cichlids (casuarius, tinanti, gibbiceps etc.), which reach ~10cm for females and ~15cm for males, along with a small group of African riverine "dithers" (Arnoldichthys spilopterus, Alestopeterus caudalis etc.)?

22-24C, low/diffused lighting, ~1500lph of filtration, a generous spread of stone caves throughout bottom (you could add some hardy Anubias or Java Fern plants that need very little maintenance).

Thanks. Had a quick look, like the look of the blockhead. Will read up on them :good:

Keyholes are nice, but the tank will probably look empty with only them and they must have dithers or you will never see them.

Jewel cichlids? Not quite what you asked for, but colourful.. convicts would also be good alternative.

Keyholes are nice, but the tank will probably look empty with only them and they must have dithers or you will never see them.

Jewel cichlids? Not quite what you asked for, but colourful.. convicts would also be good alternative.

Jewels look very nice indeed. How come you said not quite what I asked for? Because they're African? I'm open to all suggestions and this seems a very good one :good:

Went to a couple of LFS's today to see what was available. The only Convicts I saw were tiny albinos and some 'Texas Convict cross'. Also some little Jewels and firemouths.

I also saw some Sajica Cichlids, the label said max 10cm, anyone got any experience with them?

What about a group of Rainbow Cichlids? They stay fairly small and you could have a decent group of them in the tank. They don't always look great in photos but are really pretty in an aquarium.

My other suggestion is Neolamprologus Brichardi, fairy cichlids. They are very pretty looking and breed easily. They are also stepped breeders so juveniles will help to look after the next batch of young.

Jewel cichlids do look very nice so another recommendation for those too.

Jewels look very nice indeed. How come you said not quite what I asked for? Because they're African? I'm open to all suggestions and this seems a very good one :good:
You got that one right; I hope you do try them!

I also saw some Sajica Cichlids, the label said max 10cm, anyone got any experience with them?
Cryptoheros sajica are also good fish to consider.

And what about Amatitlania siquia? The Honduran red points?

i used to have a pair of sajica. I liked them alot. The firemouths i used to have grew really slow (something you might want to consider)

What about a group of Rainbow Cichlids? They stay fairly small and you could have a decent group of them in the tank. They don't always look great in photos but are really pretty in an aquarium.

My other suggestion is Neolamprologus Brichardi, fairy cichlids. They are very pretty looking and breed easily. They are also stepped breeders so juveniles will help to look after the next batch of young.

Jewel cichlids do look very nice so another recommendation for those too.

Cheers Andy, I'm more interested in a pair than a group if that makes sense? Although yeah, Rainbows do look nice.

Will look in to the fairy cichlids although I might have a problem finding them. :good:

You got that one right; I hope you do try them!

Cryptoheros sajica are also good fish to consider.

And what about Amatitlania siquia? The Honduran red points?

Another one to add to the possibility list. Thanks - will read up on them. :good:

i used to have a pair of sajica. I liked them alot. The firemouths i used to have grew really slow (something you might want to consider)

Thanks for the info, the Sajica were probably the nicest I saw on Sunday but that's going off juvenile appearance in an LFS. :good:

I still can't decide what to do. You lot have given some great suggestions and I really want to go ahead and start making one of them happen. But then I look at the fish I already have, some since the day they were born and know I'm gonna struggle to part with them.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back