Ch4rlie's New Tank!

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Ch4rlie

Moderate Moderating Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator ⚒️
Reaction score
Got myself a new Juwel Vision Tank 180 litres (47 US gals) last year and had not got round to setting it up yet!!

Anyway, thought its about time I started doing this and to start a brand new journal.

Well, here we go, first is a pic of the tank as straight from the box, in oak veneer trim, quite nice, and not a bad size considering.

IMG_8112.jpg

Its a brand new tank, bought from LFS at LFS prices but this is only my second brand new tank, have always bought second hand tanks and bought all the extras later, take time and effort and usually all worked out fine but this time I treated myself to a spanking new tank. ^_^

The only thing I knew when I was buying this tank is the fact it comes with a internal filter, now these Bioflow M filters are actually quite good and does exactly what it says on the tin, good filter imho. BUT I tend not to like internal filters very much for main tanks, simply because it takes up space inside the tank itself, less swimming space for the wee fishies shall we say! :lol:

IMG_8113.jpg

So the next thing am going to do is to remove this internal filter from the tank itself, just needed to work out how to remove this without damaging the filter and especially not to scratch the tank glass, that would really annoy me if I was to scratch the glass!! Filter is attached to side and back glass with blobs of aquarium sealant.

Got myself a new Juwel Vision Tank 180 litres (47 US gals) last year and had not got round to setting it up yet!!

Anyway, thought its about time I started doing this and to start a brand new journal.

Well, here we go, first is a pic of the tank as straight from the box, in oak veneer trim, quite nice, and not a bad size considering.

View attachment 146254

Its a brand new tank, bought from LFS at LFS prices but this is only my second brand new tank, have always bought second hand tanks and bought all the extras later, take time and effort and usually all worked out fine but this time I treated myself to a spanking new tank. ^_^

The only thing I knew when I was buying this tank is the fact it comes with a internal filter, now these Bioflow M filters are actually quite good and does exactly what it says on the tin, good filter imho. BUT I tend not to like internal filters very much for main tanks, simply because it takes up space inside the tank itself, less swimming space for the wee fishies shall we say! :lol:

View attachment 146255

So the next thing am going to do is to remove this internal filter from the tank itself, just needed to work out how to remove this without damaging the filter and especially not to scratch the tank glass, that would really annoy me if I was to scratch the glass!! Filter is attached to side and back glass with blobs of aquarium sealant.
Enjoy the build, my friend

View attachment 146254

View attachment 146255

It’s beautiful! I have my eye on a similar one at Petsmart

View attachment 146254

View attachment 146255

It‘s beautiful! I look forward to your journal!

Enjoy the build, my friend

Oh yes, I actually find the tank setting up process stages really fun if am honest, its the figuring out placement of tank, what to put tank ok and how to deal with all the niggling stuff and details that needs considering and so on and so forth.

Great stuff!! :hyper:

And then of course filling up the tank, adding sand, plants and decor etc and then doing the cycling process, I can't wait for that as I do REALLY do like cycling tanks, not joking, am weird that way and I don't care but the process of the cycling is actually fun, the waiting part maybe not so much fun but hey, its part of it! :lol:

It’s beautiful! I have my eye on a similar one at Petsmart

It‘s beautiful! I look forward to your journal!

Thank you, it IS a nice tank and is fairly common in lots of LFS around the world, had to choose one that the other half liked and at a size that was fairly reasonable for our budget. Would have liked a slightly larger tank to be honest but prices then start to climb pretty steeply once you get above 55 gals. Maybe one day. ;)

Oh yes, I actually find the tank setting up process stages really fun if am honest, its the figuring out placement of tank, what to put tank ok and how to deal with all the niggling stuff and details that needs considering and so on and so forth.

Great stuff!! :hyper:

And then of course filling up the tank, adding sand, plants and decor etc and then doing the cycling process, I can't wait for that as I do REALLY do like cycling tanks, not joking, am weird that way and I don't care but the process of the cycling is actually fun, the waiting part maybe not so much fun but hey, its part of it! :lol:
Agree about cycling, I like the process, weird or not, lol...gives you time to prep all of the aspects of what you want the final product to look like, and how you'd like it stocked...I've scaped and planted all of my tanks during my fishless cycles

Now, have actually removed the filter from the tank, not that easy I have to tell you, using strong fishling line that managed to put around the blobs of sealant thats between the glass and filter and using a sawing action, going back and forth with the line, the heat and friction eventually results in cutting through the aquarium sealant.

IMG_8114.jpg

Took a while to clean off all the aquarium sealant, did not want to use normal household cleaning detergents as this is not a good idea so had to use a lot of elbow grease using various types of cleaning cloths and scrubbers!

IMG_8113.jpg IMG_8129.jpg

IMG_8112.jpg IMG_8130.jpg

Before and after combo pics, MUCH better imho, creates more space inside the tank itself!

Now, have actually removed the filter from the tank, not that easy I have to tell you, using strong fishling line that managed to put around the blobs of sealant thats between the glass and filter and using a sawing action, going back and forth with the line, the heat and friction eventually results in cutting through the aquarium sealant.

View attachment 146257

Took a while to clean off all the aquarium sealant, did not want to use normal household cleaning detergents as this is not a good idea so had to use a lot of elbow grease using various types of cleaning cloths and scrubbers!

View attachment 146260 View attachment 146259

View attachment 146262 View attachment 146264

Before and after combo pics, MUCH better imho, creates more space inside the tank itself!
"creates more space inside the tank itself"

Exactly...one of the reasons I abhor internal filters, and other bulky equipment in my tanks

I want to look at the fish, plants, and deco, not equipment

View attachment 146257

View attachment 146260 View attachment 146259

View attachment 146262 View attachment 146264

Dang, you’re one smart cookie as Judge Judy says!

"creates more space inside the tank itself"

Exactly...one of the reasons I abhor internal filters, and other bulky equipment in my tanks

I want to look at the fish, plants, and deco, not equipment
I don't abhor internals at all. I just don't like the amount of space they occupy inside tanks.

To be fair, internals have their place in the hobby and they are perfectly fine to use, I've used many types of internals, some good and some not so good. Normally used internals for temporary and quarantine tanks in the past.

Given the choice if I don't have space for an external filter, I would use a HoB filter, these in my opinion are great value for money and the ease of access to filter media for those maintenance services makes them fantastic little things. Not great for larger tanks though so an internal filter would then come into play.

Gotta give the internal filters credit where credit is due, guess might be a marmite kind of thing, you either love it or you don't! ;)

I don't abhor internals at all. I just don't like the amount of space they occupy inside tanks.

To be fair, internals have their place in the hobby and they are perfectly fine to use, I've used many types of internals, some good and some not so good. Normally used internals for temporary and quarantine tanks in the past.

Given the choice if I don't have space for an external filter, I would use a HoB filter, these in my opinion are great value for money and the ease of access to filter media for those maintenance services makes them fantastic little things. Not great for larger tanks though so an internal filter would then come into play.

Gotta give the internal filters credit where credit is due, guess might be a marmite kind of thing, you either love it or you don't! ;)
"Not great for larger tanks though so an internal filter would then come into play."

External canister filters > internal filters, for larger tanks....IMO

What's marmite?

What's marmite?

Marmite is a kind of yeast extract spread, LOTS of folks here in the UK loves this stuff, not me though but its nice when mixed with other stuff and cooked but on its own on toast, no thank you very much :lol:

You US guys might have similar stuff called Vegemite maybe, not sure.

Screen Shot 2021-10-25 at 17.30.37.png
Generic pic from website google search.

Marmite is a kind of yeast extract spread, LOTS of folks here in the UK loves this stuff, not me though but its nice when mixed with other stuff and cooked but on its own on toast, no thank you very much :lol:

You US guys might have similar stuff called Vegemite maybe, not sure.

View attachment 146268
Generic pic from website google search.
Yuck...looks like tank filter mulm.....:rofl:

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back