Ceratopteris Thalictroides

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

GrayScale

Fishaholic
Reaction score
I was wondering if these can be trimmed in any way? From what I've read the only way to keep these at bay is by taking the plantlets and replanting them in place of the mother plant but I just wanted a second opinion.

Sorry, when I was growing this WAY back, I wanted it big, so didn't trim. I imagine you could remove the largest fronds from the base of the rhizome to keep it a more manageable height, or like you said, plant the plantlets. I'll look it up in the Baench atlas tomorrow and see If I can dig up anymore info.

Llj

Sorry, when I was growing this WAY back, I wanted it big, so didn't trim. I imagine you could remove the largest fronds from the base of the rhizome to keep it a more manageable height, or like you said, plant the plantlets. I'll look it up in the Baench atlas tomorrow and see If I can dig up anymore info.

Llj

thank you very much it is much appreciated. I'll do a little more searching myself tomorrow. Since it's a 20g long it's only 12" high and I ordered quite a few of these plants so I feel like I'll have it coming outta my ears when I start co2, macro and trace dosing. I wonder if it grows tall enough to be emersed if it would start dying off on the submersed leaves like some plants. Guess that's another thing i'll have a look at that tomorrow as well.

Llj

thank you very much it is much appreciated. I'll do a little more searching myself tomorrow. Since it's a 20g long it's only 12" high and I ordered quite a few of these plants so I feel like I'll have it coming outta my ears when I start co2, macro and trace dosing. I wonder if it grows tall enough to be emersed if it would start dying off on the submersed leaves like some plants. Guess that's another thing i'll have a look at that tomorrow as well.

Yes, I think that does happen with Water sprite, and the leaf shape is quite different too. Kind of resembles Asparagus fern emersed and the submerged leaves do die off. I'm wondering if Wisteria wouldn't be a better bet for your tank as it does remain shorter.

llj

Wisteria doesn't stick to the biotope I'm trying to create :D. Maybe I'll do some experiments with it in my 10g with 1 of the 12 plants of it that I ordered and see how trimming it in certain ways affects it if it affects it at all. :good:

Understood. Sounds like a good plan. See where the trimming gets you.

Most reactions

trending

Back