Centrepiece Fish

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

dayzofspeed

Fish Herder
Reaction score
i have a quite peaceful community set up based around tetras and was toying with the idea of maybe getting a gourami as a centrepiece, i have just a couple of questions, which gourami would you reccommend in this situation and secondly would i be ok with just one fish or do they do better in a group

your probabley better with more than two gouramis
i think blue gouramis would look the best i dont know how well they would get on with the tetras but my mixed gouramis are fine with my malawi's :fish:

A pair of Honey's would go nice, pending on tank size and tank mates.

James.

its a 240l tank and contains 9 neon, 6 head&tail light and 6 lemon tetras, 10 zebra danios, 10 copper harlequin and 4 scissortail rasboras. there is also a single dwarf neon rainbow a bigspot sailfin pleco and 2 clown loaches, the plec and the loaches are going to be re homed in the near future as i now know they are going to need a bigger tank, will be upsetting to see our plec go as we have become quite attached to him, the missus will be really upset as she considers him her fish but i keep telling her he cant stay indefinately

if you want a smaller pleco i recommend a bristlenose pleco they dont grow very big :good:

There are loads of gouramis but my favourite Gourami has to be the Snakeskin Gourami. :drool:
There is simply no other fish that matches their personality. And while they may not have a lot of colour, they are fantastic uncommon gourami. And it can be kept singly. It is one of the most peaceful gourami species out there, they are not bullys like Pearl, Opaline (blue, gold, moonlight) and Dwarf Gourami can be.
Carl

There are loads of gouramis but my favourite Gourami has to be the Snakeskin Gourami. :drool:
There is simply no other fish that matches their personality. And while they may not have a lot of colour, they are fantastic uncommon gourami. And it can be kept singly. It is one of the most peaceful gourami species out there, they are not bullys like Pearl, Opaline (blue, gold, moonlight) and Dwarf Gourami can be.
Carl
my lfs has snakeskins in stock at the moment, and they can be kept singly? thats interesting

Carl
my lfs has snakeskins in stock at the moment, and they can be kept singly? thats interesting
Yep, I definitely recommend you go for them if your LFS has them. They are normally around £5 each :good:

Gah! What LFS is this?!

None of mine have Snakeskins, although I went today and the LFS nearest me said they could order them in for me. They also had quite a selection - Pearls (may go for one of these if I can't wait for Snakeskins to come in!), Blue, Honey, etc.

Ben.

Carl
Yep, I definitely recommend you go for them if your LFS has them. They are normally around £5 each :good:
dont think these are that much but im not 100% sure

Gah! What LFS is this?!

None of mine have Snakeskins, although I went today and the LFS nearest me said they could order them in for me. They also had quite a selection - Pearls (may go for one of these if I can't wait for Snakeskins to come in!), Blue, Honey, etc.

Ben.

Amazon aquatics in Leigh nr Manchester

Carl

all gouramis can be kept singly. its a common misconception that they should be in groups. in fact, i think they're much better off singly unless you have a strong desire to breed them. gouramis generally just don't like eachother. lots of chasing, lots of nipping, no love. and they definitely don't gain any sense of security by being with other members of their species.

my understanding is that even in the wild most gourami species would never pal around in schools or even pairs... they are essentially solitary fish.

for the size tank you have a snakeskin gourami is the perfect centerpiece. they can get up to 8 inches and despite their size they're significantly less aggressive than other gouramis. the fact that your lfs actually has them in stock is even better, they really aren't that common. i say go for it.

Carl

all gouramis can be kept singly. its a common misconception that they should be in groups. in fact, i think they're much better off singly unless you have a strong desire to breed them. gouramis generally just don't like eachother. lots of chasing, lots of nipping, no love. and they definitely don't gain any sense of security by being with other members of their species.

my understanding is that even in the wild most gourami species would never pal around in schools or even pairs... they are essentially solitary fish.

for the size tank you have a snakeskin gourami is the perfect centerpiece. they can get up to 8 inches and despite their size they're significantly less aggressive than other gouramis. the fact that your lfs actually has them in stock is even better, they really aren't that common. i say go for it.

Just want to add that some gouramis are shoaling species. It tends to be the smaller, rarer species such as Chocolate Gourami and eyespot gouramis that tend to shoal.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back