Celestial Pearl Danio - Swollen, Lethargic And Gasping

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

214jay

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
I would be grateful for any help, I have a poorly fish who is the largest one in the tank...Details below:

Tank size: 48L
pH: 7.8
ammonia: 0
nitrite: 0
nitrate: 20
tank temp: 24C

Fish is badly swolen along most of his body, gasping and lethargic (not darting away from anything).  He is hanging near the surface (though not taking in air) or around plants away from the other CPDs.

I changes the water between 25-50% per week and I treat the tank with prime on water changes. I have lots of plants in there.

Tank Mates - 7 Celestial Pearl Danios, 1 Honey Gourami, 2 nerite and a number of RCS.

I changed my filter around a week ago but swappe the media over, have kept an eye on water conditions and all has been fine.

20131011_124237-1.jpg

Have had the same problems with CPD's as well (my son and a friend too). CPD seem to be prone to
Dropsy one way or the other. Dropsy in this stage is 99,9% untreatable, so I'd euthanise it (sorry).

Well, the fish can naturally get bloat if they have some kind of organ failure or something inside them that is just defective. The thing with CPD's are there small body size.

They need to be fed small pellets or crushed flake to avoid getting bloat (Dropsy)

I'm sure its not overfeeding as they only have a small amount of crushed flakes and the shrimp and Gourami take most of it, they mainly get what sinks.  Thanks for all the advice, sadly I think I may need to euthanise him.

If you dont want to euthanize him then make sure the water is at tip top condition. I have heard that peas can cure bloats. 

If you dont want to euthanize him then make sure the water is at tip top condition. I have heard that peas can cure bloats.
OKay, thats certainly worth a go! Thank you!

dont add salts as they can make his condition even worse. It will drain the moisture in his body

No I won't be using salts, the other inhabitants would not appreciate it.

214jay said:
No I won't be using salts, the other inhabitants would not appreciate it.

Especially the shrimps.......

Sorry to hear having a tough time with one of your CPD!

I'll keep fingers crossed that suggestion of peas may help but first I've heard of that though.

Dropsy and bloat are two different things. Dropsy is a organ-failure (mainly kidneys) by a bacterial or viral infection. Fluid will build up in the fish. Bloating can be caused by a wrong diet and is air , fluid by constipation (english???) in it's intestials. This one can be cured by feeding another diet / peas aso. This is Dropsy to me and uncurable to my believe.

Hmmmm...Seeing him turn to face me, even his face is swollen :-(

Just at the same time a guy at the UK forum seems to have succes with primafix and melafix in a likewise situation. So I can be wrong !!! Hope so.

I think its too late for my one I am afraid, it is certainly Dropsy as his scales have pineconed also...I have now euthanised him, I hope none of the others fall ill. Thanks for you help

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back