Catfish identification help?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Moonweaver

Pet of the Month 🎖️
Reaction score
I was just wondering what type of catfish these two little ones were ^^ Thanks for any help!

I can provide more pictures if needed.

Attachments

• 15678711779056562328492783913819.jpg
    15678711779056562328492783913819.jpg
    61.5 KB · Views: 130
  • 15678711905972224255994435133044.jpg
    15678711905972224255994435133044.jpg
    45.8 KB · Views: 122
  • 15678712034937506375077900802412.jpg
    15678712034937506375077900802412.jpg
    29.8 KB · Views: 128
The one furthest looks like a pepper, the one closest looks like a bronze.

I agree. And in case you (Moonweaver) are not already aware of it, there are some requirements here.

First, you need a small group of these cory catfish or they will be severely stressed. A group of five minimum, and it can be more of either or both of these. I personally would aim for three of each species, for six total. I don't know the size of this tank, but having five or six is so crucial to their well being it really doesn't matter.

Second thing is a substrate of sand. Bare bottom tanks are not healthy, and these fish must be able to dig into and sift the sand through their gills or again they will be less than "happy" and that means less healthy.

I agree. And in case you (Moonweaver) are not already aware of it, there are some requirements here.

First, you need a small group of these cory catfish or they will be severely stressed. A group of five minimum, and it can be more of either or both of these. I personally would aim for three of each species, for six total. I don't know the size of this tank, but having five or six is so crucial to their well being it really doesn't matter.

Second thing is a substrate of sand. Bare bottom tanks are not healthy, and these fish must be able to dig into and sift the sand through their gills or again they will be less than "happy" and that means less healthy.
I totally agree. In order for you to have a group of 5-6, you will need a minimum of a 20 gallon long tank. If you want to have other species in with them, maybe consider getting a 30 gallon long.

And, as @Byron said, they love to sift through the sand, and scavenge for food. Good luck!

(@Byron, I was not copying you, I was just agreeing with you. ;))

I totally agree. In order for you to have a group of 5-6, you will need a minimum of a 20 gallon long tank. If you want to have other species in with them, maybe consider getting a 30 gallon long.

And, as @Byron said, they love to sift through the sand, and scavenge for food. Good luck!

(@Byron, I was not copying you, I was just agreeing with you. ;))

I see! Thank you! I'll be sure to get some more and put in sand ^^ Do small pebbles work or is sand better?

I see! Thank you! I'll be sure to get some more and put in sand ^^ Do small pebbles work or is sand better?
Sand Is much better for Cory cats. Maybe if the pebbles where super small, that would be OK, but sand is the safer way to go. ;)

Sand Is much better for Cory cats. Maybe if the pebbles where super small, that would be OK, but sand is the safer way to go. ;)

Okay, I have sand that's pretty fine, do you have an idea of how I can get the poop out of their tank with out sucking out tons of the sand? (Also how many inches of sand should I do?)

Okay, I have sand that's pretty fine, do you have an idea of how I can get the poop out of their tank with out sucking out tons of the sand? (Also how many inches of sand should I do?)
I just sort of swish my vacuum over the surface of the sand, And then vacuum up the poop. If you are going to do a planted tank, I suggest 1-3 in. Of sand. I use 2 in. But some prefer more. If you are doing a non planted tank, use 1in. :)

I just sort of swish my vacuum over the surface of the sand, And then vacuum up the poop. If you are going to do a planted tank, I suggest 1-3 in. Of sand. I use 2 in. But some prefer more. If you are doing a non planted tank, use 1in. :)

I did as you said and added some sand, the water is a little bit brown-ish, I washed the sand tons of times. Is that normal?

I did as you said and added some sand, the water is a little bit brown-ish, I washed the sand tons of times. Is that normal?
Yes, most definitely. Even when I washed my sand about 5 times, my water was still cloudy for about the first day, or so. As long as your filter is running, you should be good in. ;)

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back