Catfish Id

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰
Looks like some type of Shovelnose Catfish. Sure someone here can give more accurate ID

My first thought was Pseudoplatystoma corruscans but it doesn't look right. It DOES have the "shovelnose" shape though... Which is confusing because it doesn't look like any of the Pseudoplatystoma..

Maybe a Phractocephalus x Leiarius?

Or similar.

Honestly, it all depends on supply & demand, especially if you're planning to sell local. Bigger catfish are hard to move too. I've seen Redtail cats and Tiger Shovelnose around that size only sell for $20-$40. Hybrids go for a little more. I would say to accurately appraise its value, you first need to identify exactly what it is.

DRay said:
Honestly, it all depends on supply & demand, especially if you're planning to sell local. Bigger catfish are hard to move too. I've seen Redtail cats and Tiger Shovelnose around that size only sell for $20-$40. Hybrids go for a little more. I would say to accurately appraise its value, you first need to identify exactly what it is.

Agree with this 100%.

I would agree on the hybrid, maybe Leiarius x Pseudoplatystoma? Snout appears too short for Pseudoplatystoma, but too long for Leiarius. Barbels are not Leiarius either, way too short. Either way it's still got some growing to do!
Anyway, for reference, it's definitely not from Vietnam! On the assumption it's a hybrid, both parents are from South America.
Martin

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back