Catfish food - King British

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰
@AdoraBelle Dearheart I am getting 8 or 9 pepper cories next week size 2-3 mm, could you recommend what size bug bites I should I go for please.

Thank you
2-3mms?? Not sure about that measurement! ;)

But if they're really young juveniles, or heck, even if they're adults, they'd be fine with the Bug Bites microgranules (light blue tub). Then as they get to full size adults/once you run low on the microgranules, you might want to try one of the others.

What other fish do you have or plan to have in the tank with the cories? Sometimes that helps decide which one I pick, since all of the fish seem to enjoy it, and the two blue sizes have different sized particles that sink at different rates, so the surface and midwater feeders get a chance to eat as well as the bottom dwellers, while the green bottom dwellers formula is larger and sinks faster.

Congrats on your new cory school! That's a nice sized group to get as well, awesome! :D Hope you share photos when they arrive please! :)

2-3mms?? Not sure about that measurement! ;)

But if they're really young juveniles, or heck, even if they're adults, they'd be fine with the Bug Bites microgranules (light blue tub). Then as they get to full size adults/once you run low on the microgranules, you might want to try one of the others.

What other fish do you have or plan to have in the tank with the cories? Sometimes that helps decide which one I pick, since all of the fish seem to enjoy it, and the two blue sizes have different sized particles that sink at different rates, so the surface and midwater feeders get a chance to eat as well as the bottom dwellers, while the green bottom dwellers formula is larger and sinks faster.

Congrats on your new cory school! That's a nice sized group to get as well, awesome! :D Hope you share photos when they arrive please! :)
Fat finger syndrome ;) I have 9 Cardinal Tetra's, 13 Blue Tetra's and 12 Neon Tetra,s I was not planning to breed the cories . In few months I will "think" about one or 2 centerpiece fish - tank is jewel rio 240 ,Oase Thermo filter, sand substrate and planted with a number of floating plants.

Many thanks for the advice:)

Last edited:
Fat finger syndrome ;) I have 9 Cardinal Tetra's, 13 Blue Tetra's and 12 Neon T.etra,s I was not planning to breed the cories . In few moths I will "think" about one or 2 centerpiece fish - tank is jewel rio 240 ,Oase Thermo filter, sand substrate and planted with a number of floating plants.

Many thanks for the advice:)
No worries!

In my inherited tank where the bronze and sterbai live, there are/were some cardinals and neons (the remaining few elderly ones from larger schools) and being midwater feeders, they'll appreciate the light blue microgranules or the darker blue tropical granules formulas too :)

Sounds like a gorgeous set up! Even if you don't plan to breed the cories, 8-9 is a nice sized group :)
But with that set up and with a good diet conditioning the adults, they may breed anyway... lol. I never planned to breed my bronzes or pygmies, they took matters into their own fins :lol:

Don't know if it matters about size of food for cories. They seem to bite/slurp off crumbs from pieces that don't fit in their mouths. Any food made specifically for cories is in wafer or even tablet form. After bug bites my cories second favourite food is FishScience corydoras tablets. The top feeding gouramis usually help them eat them; a ram I had once used to guard the tablet so I usually fed two to distract the ram. Even the teras like the tablet; they hover over the cory feeding frenzy waiting for food particles to fly up.

If your stock is mostly bottom feeders, they seem to love flake of any brand.

From the little I've seen corydoras will eat anything, but it takes them a minute to realise there is food around, the main issue being that there is food remaining after the rest of the tank has eaten.

Don't know if it matters about size of food for cories. They seem to bite/slurp off crumbs from pieces that don't fit in their mouths. Any food made specifically for cories is in wafer or even tablet form. After bug bites my cories second favourite food is FishScience corydoras tablets. The top feeding gouramis usually help them eat them; a ram I had once used to guard the tablet so I usually fed two to distract the ram. Even the teras like the tablet; they hover over the cory feeding frenzy waiting for food particles to fly up.

If your stock is mostly bottom feeders, they seem to love flake of any brand.

From the little I've seen corydoras will eat anything, but it takes them a minute to realise there is food around, the main issue being that there is food remaining after the rest of the tank has eaten.

Agree. Food size does matter though, depending upon the food item.., Shrimp pellets, FishScience tabs, and similar will slowly break apart as they absorb moisture. Cories poking at these foods will wear off tidbits. Bug Bites is different though. This is insect larvae and not likely to easily fall apart. Cories have no teeth to break up food, so the bug bite size is worth keeping in mind. I use the micro (blue) ones for my 29g tank which has my pygmy fry (now 3-4 years old) and upper small fish from hatchets to embers to pencilfish, and they all go after this. In the main cory tank I use the sinking larger size (green) which is not too large for these cories.

It took me ages to take this photo. I think my cats are camera shy 😂 put my camera to the tank and they all go and hide behind the plants, put the camera away and they all come out to play.😸
IMG_20210911_184629.jpg

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back