Catfish Eggs

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

ShaunaShortcake

Reaction score
Hi!

we adopted 3 catfish from a fried who wanted to get rid of them. Since adding them to our tank and after a big water change we now have lots of eggs on the walls!! We’re not sure what to do? If they are fertilised? Will they hatch? Should be be doing something different with them?
Any info or advice would be appreciated!!!

shauna

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    173.6 KB · Views: 73
If you want the best chances of survival, take a container of water taken from the parents tank, add an airstone.

Take a solo cup, poke very small holes into it.

Take your finger and very gently roll the eggs up the glass until they stick to your finger. Place the eggs inside the solo cup inside the container of water and airstone.

They take 3-5 days to hatch.

Remove any eggs that become fuzzy--this is fungus and can spread to the healthy eggs. You can use a couple drops of methyline blue or use an alder cone to prevent as much fungus as possible.

Once they hatch, they wont need to be fed until the 3rd day after when they've fully absorbed their yolk sac.

When they are fed, best to start with something like Hikari First Bites (a dried powdered fry food) or live baby brine shrimp/microworms. I use a toothpick to feed the first bites. Dip a small bit of it into water to get the powder to stick, then dip it into the fry holder.

At least by 7 days old add a thin layer of sand to their container--this is necessary for the healthy growth of barbels

After they hatch, you must change the water in the container daily. Use a pipette to spot clean the cup.

What kind of catfish are they, by the way? That's a huge family of fish! If you're not sure, you can always upload a picture here and someone here will know what they are :)

What kind of catfish are they, by the way? That's a huge family of fish! If you're not sure, you can always upload a picture here and someone here will know what they are :)
Considering its in the corydoras subsection of the catfish section, my advice is directed at corydoras egg care. And photos appear to match cory eggs too

Considering its in the corydoras subsection of the catfish section, my advice is directed at corydoras egg care. And photos appear to match cory eggs too
Oh that wasn't why I asked, I know you know what you're doing with cories! I was mainly curious what kind :)

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back