Catching Mbuna Fry

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

modernhamlet

Just this guy...
Reaction score
I just spent about 2.5 hours trying to catch the fry living and hiding in my 75g, in preparation for a move. I have a growout tank setup for them and would like to have them all there so I can not worry about them and focus on getting the adults rehomed quickly and safely. Plus I'd like to get a little more food in them before the move.

Anyway... in 2.5. hours I caught 2 of them. They are fast. They are sneaky. They are living in a TANK FULL OF ROCKS! Arrgh. There are at least 2 more in there, maybe more. :X

I intially tried to syphon them out of their hiding spots, but they had none of it. Eventually I had to move rock after rock after rock and finally mananged to chase a couple into a second net. The whole time the big fish were like "Dude, what the heck are you doing?" So anyway, hours later those 2 little guys are now happily swimming in the fry tank without the big fish to worry them.

The moral of this story is this: If you let your mbuna spit in the main tank, do not plan to get them out until they are grown.

So, anyone have suggestions for catching the other two?

modernhamlet said:
I just spent about 2.5 hours trying to catch the fry living and hiding in my 75g, in preparation for a move. I have a growout tank setup for them and would like to have them all there so I can not worry about them and focus on getting the adults rehomed quickly and safely. Plus I'd like to get a little more food in them before the move.

Anyway... in 2.5. hours I caught 2 of them. They are fast. They are sneaky. They are living in a TANK FULL OF ROCKS! Arrgh. There are at least 2 more in there, maybe more. :X

I intially tried to syphon them out of their hiding spots, but they had none of it. Eventually I had to move rock after rock after rock and finally mananged to chase a couple into a second net. The whole time the big fish were like "Dude, what the heck are you doing?" So anyway, hours later those 2 little guys are now happily swimming in the fry tank without the big fish to worry them.

The moral of this story is this: If you let your mbuna spit in the main tank, do not plan to get them out until they are grown.

So, anyone have suggestions for catching the other two?
[snapback]879354[/snapback]​
upside down catfish.i had one it played alot and then it just died for no reason but it awesome. really supper cool awesome i think i might get another. :dunno: :alien: :lol: :*)

When it comes to removing mbuna, fry or adults, I always just bite the bullet and take out everything - in the end it actually saves time.

freddyk said:
When it comes to removing mbuna, fry or adults, I always just bite the bullet and take out everything - in the end it actually saves time.
[snapback]879376[/snapback]​
Yeah, i figured that out along time ago when i had a heavily planted community tank and a New World Cichlid tank.

Congrats on the fry though! Who are the parents?

DD

Thanks guys!

Well, I managed to catch the other two yesterday after slightly less trauma. Didn't have to remove everything, but was much more willing to do so and that helped a lot. I think that's all of them... :rolleyes:

All four acei fry are swimming around in the fry tank and seem very content, having adjusted to the idea that they are no longer in a tank with big fish that want to eat them.

At what size would returning them to the main tank be an option?

BTW, good article D_D. I may use that in the future... Thanks!

From the sounds of it they probably would have done ok in there if you'd never moved them in the first place, but basically you can return them to the tank as soon as they're not going to be considered food to the adults. The bigger the are, the better they'll be able to compete for food, but as I mentioned even the fry would have found enough food hanging around to grow.

freddyk said:
From the sounds of it they probably would have done ok in there if you'd never moved them in the first place, but basically you can return them to the tank as soon as they're not going to be considered food to the adults. The bigger the are, the better they'll be able to compete for food, but as I mentioned even the fry would have found enough food hanging around to grow.
[snapback]882168[/snapback]​
Oh definitely. I have no problem letting fry grow up in the main tank and that will mostly be the plan going forward. These 4 were definitely getting food, as I watched them eating on many occasions.

The reason I caught them was that they're my first mbuna fry so I'd like to see them reach maturity. I am moving the whole setup next Monday and didn't want the added pressure of fry hunting on top of everything else. :crazy:

I just wish they appreciated how much trouble they put me through. :D

I've got what I think is a reasonable move plan, but if you have any move related pointers you've picked up over the years, I'm all ears.

Thanks again, freddy. Good advice, as always...

when I used to strip the fry out of the Haps. Sp. way back when I used to feed the tank and get them all to the surface and use a large net and scoop everyone out. Even with fry in their mouths they will come up from instinct. If you miss the first time you might able try or two after that the following day. After two or three days they'll get wise and then it's all about the survival of the fittest.

Most reactions

Back