Catching Corys In An Aquarium

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Chops126

Reaction score
Hi there,

I have a 50 gal. planted tank with 15 various Corys, 6 Rams, and 13 Black Neon Tetras. I am planning to setup another 50 gal. and would like to know how to move some of my Corys (and a few other fish) from the main tank. I was told also that I may be at the maximum load for fish and hence thought of setting up another tank.

I was hoping to do this WITHOUT having to use a net. The Corys I have are quite shy and will retreat to spaces under some of the driftwood I've placed in the tank or behind some of the plants, especially when there are people moving in front of the tank. I know that any attempt to catch them would be in vain 'cause the tank is planted and with a lot of hiding places, and there's always the chance of damaging the plants and the setup of the tank. I'm sure I'll have quite a difficult time catching them with a net anyway. I have a hard enough time just counting them to check if they're all there (I'm not 100% sure if they're all still there actually but haven't seen any floating or dead ones - crossing my fingers :unsure: ).

Is there a way to catch Corys is some kind of "trap" that won't harm them in any way?

Thanks

Depends on how patient you have (how hurry you are planning to do set the another tank and move the fish), there is one another way I know beside using net to cath the fish.
Personally I just drain 50~75% of water and take all the decorations(driftwood, stones.,etc) out and using 2 big nets and trap them in between the nets. Or hold 1 net stationed against the tank glass so there is no gap they can swim through and use the other hand to chase them into the net. Also you can use those water to fill the new tank with.

Here is another way which it may work if you have a lot of patient to wait. Place some kind of bottle like object. Which need to have the opening that is big enough for your fish to go but have only one opening so not easily get out. And it would work better if you can place some of the fish's favorite food in there. And it even work better if you skip the feeding for a day.
Place the bottle shaped/vase with small opening in the bottom of the tank. Wait until the fish get in there. Then close the opening with your hand or net when the fish in it. And take it out and pour the water, bait and hopefully the fish you are looking for. And repeat. Hope it works but it may take few days until all the fish you want to catch.

Personally I use first method, it is quicker. And as long as you have some open space you can place the net against the tank glass on the bottom of the tank. And flash out the fish with your other hand, I don't think the damage to the plant is minimal.

Anyway, let me know how it go if you use the trapping method. And good luck. :good:

Very hard to do. The best thing to do in my opinion, and the way I have always done it, is remove all the decor from the tank, plants and all. They will find a place to hide and might not come out for a while if you chase them all over the tank.

Pretty much gotta take caves out. I also catch fish at water change when the tank water is low. Definately the more of the decore and plants you take out the more successful. Use 2 nets or your hand to flush them into the catching net. Just as NEONCORY says.

I have also used the bottle trick. I use a plastic soda bottle. Cut the top section off. Invert it so the opening hole is in the bottle and the cut off section is on the outside, making a funnel. When the fish goes in after the treat (bloodworm or something especially attractive) they can't get out again. But it is then easy for you to lift the bottle and remove the top to then pour the fish. Do be careful of ragged edges. They may need smoothing with fire or sanding.

I had the same problem recently when I was removing some cory babies, it's hard enough catching the adults but the babies are worse, they were only about 2cm each. I didn't want to remove everything from the tank, plus it's planted so that would have been a pain. I just used 2 nets and was very patient, took me about an hour to get all 6 of them and I only pulled 1 plant up, everything else stayed put.

I had mine well trained though, just to indicate to them that it's feeding time I turn the airstone off and drop the food in, so they all know if the airstone goes off it's feeding time(I put it back on after a few mins) and they all rush out in the open so that made it a little easier cause the first 3 didn't swim away from the net, the other 3 soon got the idea though and it took the next 50 mins to catch them.

The bottle idea sounds great so maybe use that and just use the nets as a last resort?

Good luck :)

I am finally getting good enough to catch fish with 2 nets w/o tearing the tank up. But it is arduous if there is lots of "stuff" in the tank. Cory only tanks ar a bit easier, but I still have to take the hidy holes out: wood, caves, etc. I have a Cory in the 100 usg that managed to get from one tank to another via the python during water changes. I make intermittant half hearted attempts, but I know I will have to make big efforts and take all the caves and driftwood out when I finally get serious.

Thanks for the advice everyone :good:

I'll be buying my new tank next weekend and will be going through my 1 month cycling period to get it up to "speed".

Will post my success rate of catching the Corys (I'll try the bottle method).

Thanks again

Most reactions

Back