Cat Runs Away From Me In Back Yard?

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

razer121

THE Triop Man XD
Reaction score
long story short.....my cat is the most affectionate cat when he is in the house...always wants a fuss and such, he has also had his bits choped. but yet outside the house he acts like he is scared of me? if i call him he wont come....if i try to approach him he runs away looking scared to death! any ideas why this is? and more important how i can sort it..... :crazy:

tried putting him on a leash in the house till he's use to it then taking him outside and staying close to him? Not all cats get along with leashs though :unsure:. Or you can try feeding him outside. I'm not really sure none of my cats act like that. Sometimes they run away, but thats only when its dark out and they know they sneaked outside after I told them NO! I would think a cat would feel pretty safe in its back yard. You could try luring him towards you with toys. Or when you are able to touch him give him a big rub down every time before actually picking him up that way he will get affection every time he lets you near him.

My pet rabbit is exactly the same. With him its because i always catch him in the garden to put him back in the hutch and he knows this.

The first few months we had him, he was fine with me putting him back in his cage. But now fast-forwarding 2+ years, everytime he sees me in the garden, he runs really fast then skips in the air as in 'ha-ha'.

Do you try to bring him back into the house at all? I think it might be the same.

As domesticated as they are, cats are still wild animals at heart. Unlike dogs who live in packs, cats are usually very solitary. Inside the house, he may just accept that you are part of the creature comforts and things at his disposal. Outside however, is a different matter. This is when they are free. If he isn't tired, or hungry, he has no reason to come to you. Since in his eyes, that is all you are, a provider of free and easy food, and the provider of a warm safe place to rest. Cats can be very grateful of you providing these services, hence the affection.

If the cat is hunting, he may be worried about you scaring away the prey, so would try and get away from the noise which will scare the prey (you). He may just be wanting alone time, since they are solitary creatures.

Some cats are more worried about these things than others. Sounds like you have a hunter to me.

hm...well he was a stray we picked up from the tip and was very unhealthy and you could tell he hadnt eaten in a while (could feel all his bones) either way he is not huntin in the back yard when we approach him..he is just laying there or playing with one of the other cats...its odd as sometimes he does come to us, the problem is one of our neighbours stupidly feed some foxs which have now made a den near us and a few cats have already gone missing :( im worried that kovu may get got and at the moment he is still pretty small...:(

It sounds like he has had a pretty bad start in life so is nervous because of this, perhaps he has had a bad experience whilst he has been outside by someone scaring him so he just reacts in this way to everyone, not such a bad thing as it can help him get himself away from trouble but it is unusual he does not recognise you, how much time do you spend with him at home? do you talk to him alot? perhaps try letting him out on an empty stomach and then try to call him to encourage him to come to you, he should not go far if he is hungry, spend some time just sitting outside with him if you can not approaching him just letting him do his own thing so he gets used to your presence and can approach you if he wants, when he does perhaps give him a treat? my cat adores those dreamie treats and Thomas treats! he will soon associate you with good things :) real canadian catnip is great stuff too, they go mad for it! I have the opposite problem with my cat, he is nervous outside with strangers but as soon as he sees me he comes running, he would follow me to work if I let him :rolleyes:
Don't worry about the foxes they will not attack healthy mobile cats the other cats that have disappeared may have been old or slow if you believe it was a fox that took them, more likely it was some other reason, cats are too much hard work for a fox to tackle, I have seen many interactions with cats and foxes in the wild and each time it has always been the fox that ended up running away! :lol:

well, i spend alot with him, i mean for a long time i had to keep him with my in the bedroom, he ALWAYS comes to me for a fuss as soon as i enter the room...yet in the back yard, its just plain weird? i mean i spend alot of time with him when he is in, although...he didnt like it when i had to take him to the vet?? maybe that has something to do with it, i will have to try the treats! also yes ive been soaking up the sun in the back garden lol, he does sometimes come to me,

onto foxes, ive seen a fox attack a mature cat, i managed to bite the cats tail just as i walked into the park, needless to say i chased that fox....the foxes round here will try there luck but you are right the 2 cats that have gone missing were both old cats....

Ah yes, extra info there can open up some other issues. Good advice from betta fish.

Spend that time with him outside. So he learns he can trust you outside aswell as in.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back