Cat Litter Vs Eco Complete

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

daizeUK

Fish Botherer
Reaction score
I've been trying out Tesco's lightweight cat litter in a planted fry tank, I heard that it has the same nutrient-locking qualities as eco-complete but at a fraction of the price!  Sounded great but trying to get anything to stay rooted in it has been pure frustration ever since!  The amount of swearing that goes on when I have to re-plant floaters is most un-ladylike!
ohmy.png

The problem is that the lightweight cat litter is TOO light, it just floats around and has no weight to keep plants rooted at all.  So for future projects I'm considering forking out the extra cash for something that works properly.  Can anyone vouch for eco-complete (or any other brand), how easy is it to keep plants rooted in it (particularly small foreground and carpeting plants such as pogostemon helferi) compared to the feline toilet paper I'm using now?!

Just depends what look you're going for, but aquasoils are great, they have a high cec, and are nutrient rich from the start up. Some leach ammonia, but if the tank is heavily planted from start up, you shouldn't have any problems.
A cheaper variation that Eco complete (not that compete as it doesn't contain and n & p), why not go for a Tropica plant substrate capped by a unipac sand. This works out cheaper than Eco compete and you'll get the same, if not better results. You will get the look you want then from the substrate, as unipac do some really nice looking sands.

Thanks Ian i'll do some reading on Aquasoil and Tropica!

Call me old fashioned but everything seems to be growing ok in my gravel. I know sand looks nicer.

coolie said:
Call me old fashioned but everything seems to be growing ok in my gravel. I know sand looks nicer.
I think most would put it under their substrate, so it shouldnt be seen.

I've been looking into the options Ian mentioned.

I passed over the Tropica substrate when I read it can cloud the water when disturbed... but then I read that Aquasoil can also cloud the water and one person said it was too lightweight and difficult to plant in... so that's exactly what I'm trying to get away from!

So now I'm leaning back towards Tropica substrate under sand.  I have a question.  I'd like to make an island scape which will mean wood and stones on a slightly raised substrate.  I don't want to pile the sand too deep so I might start with an underlayer of gravel to build up height, then a layer of Tropica planting substrate, then sand on top.  Would that work?

Aquasoils are really the best to plant in ime. They are what all most aquascapers use in some guise. Some will use with sand. It doesn't cloud either when moved, no more than any substrate. The substrate shouldn't really be disturbed in a planted tank.

With your idea, I would still use tropica substrate as a base layer, then maybe some gravel and sand. Just remember the gravel may start appearing at the top of the substrate though.

Thanks Ian.  I've only been looking at ADA aquasoil, are there others?

Yes there's the TMC nutrasoil or the best value for money one is Colombo florabase. They are all much of a muchness.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back