Carrots are delicious...

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
šŸ¶ POTM Poll is Open! šŸ¦Ž Click here to Vote! šŸ°
Oh yes, this was carrot night, but I feed my fish a wide variety of steamed veggies...broccoli, cauliflower, green beans, squash are some of their other favorites
Steamed being the keyword. I used to blanch swiss chard and freeze it for my tangs.

Steamed being the keyword. I used to blanch swiss chard and freeze it for my tangs.
I have found that my fish (and shrimp) prefer steamed over blanched...they like 'em tender ;) ...but not so tender that they fall off of the skewer

In the first vid -what are the two long fin beauties when you pan to the top?

Grumpy likes to say "Thanks Matt"

Attachments

• 20230216_210331.jpg
    20230216_210331.jpg
    234 KB · Views: 15
Guppies liked the carrots more than anyone, but I think I should scoop them out. Bristlenose sampled and went and found a rock to clean today, I put the steamed pieces in on the 23rd. Cories said no thank you, we prefer bug bites.

Attachments

• 20230223_194906.jpg
    20230223_194906.jpg
    208 KB · Views: 12
Guppies liked the carrots more than anyone, but I think I should scoop them out. Bristlenose sampled and went and found a rock to clean today, I put the steamed pieces in on the 23rd. Cories said no thank you, we prefer bug bites.

Try not steaming it. Veg (plants) give off different compounds (ie flavours?) as they soften, and different fish prefer it at different stages. Some like it soft, some like it hard.

Try not steaming it. Veg (plants) give off different compounds (ie flavours?) as they soften, and different fish prefer it at different stages. Some like it soft, some like it hard.
I've tried raw veggies in the past, it seems that by the time they soften enough for the fish to show interest, many days have passed, and I worry about spoilage in the tank

Fruits like watermelon, cantaloupe, and honeydew are grazed upon immediately, though...but of course, who would steam those, lol

I'm thinking they don't eat grapes or pineapple?
Never tried these....peeled grapes may be OK, but I would think pineapple is a bit too acidic to be safe in a tank

Melons are out of season right now. I think I am going to stick to fish food for a while, I may get them a zucchini, I know they like zucchini, raw.

I think if itā€™s untouched for a few days itā€™s very much a ā€œno thanksā€.

Itā€™s just occurred to me that I donā€™t think Iā€™ve ever tried apple...

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back