Carpet

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Alexp08

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
Kinda simple question but will have alot of answers. What makes a good carpet plant? Im wanting it to stay small and low to the bottom. 
Thanks

first what lights do you have, are you using CO2 and ferts?  this will determine the plants which can grow 

I have led lights. I believe altogether there are 25 leds. Its a 10 gallon take with fluorite substrate from dr.foster and smith. And no co2

okay most carpets requite co2 and strong lighting but carpets you can get are Dwarf hair grass and cuba or ricca

Yeah to the above, I very much like Hemianthus 'Cuba'. 

HC cuba is baby tears, they find it hard to grow without co2 though. a better choice would be glossostigma elatinoides they look like HC cuba but glosso grows better without co2 , hair grass i found grows badly without co2 better choice again would be sagittaria subulata or Echinodorus tenellus 

Staurogyne repens  will also grow as a "carpet" but it is a stem plant and will require trimming back/ replanting to be kept compact 

i feel the easiest carpet is riccia, or a moss of some type 

Riccia is a very good grower but it can be difficult to keep down. Doesn't need any CO2 or ferts in my experience but it bushes up quickly and tends to grow up as much as it grows across.

I really like that glossostigma elatinoides. I wish i would have saw that a couple days ago. I just bought a bunch of java moss. I did the thing where you put it between two pieces of that yarn stuff... so we will see how it goes 

java moss should be fine, i find all mosses interesting, never been fond of java tho, i like weeping and tiwan more  

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back