Carinotetraodon Irrubesco

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

James Gok

Reaction score
Annoying Newbie here!

Im after some advise. I unfortunately purchased a Biorb life 60ltr. I had kept tropical fish in it upto now. Cleaning it is difficult but I mannage. Previous to that I had kept dwarf puffers. I was looking at figure 8 but took advise that the tank wasn't suitable. Ive been researching the Red Tailed Red eyed puffer (Carinotetraodon irrubesco) not the lortetis.

Since my last post i have modified my biorb. I have replaced most of the ceramic media for sand. I have a bowl around the original undergravel filter this holds the remaining ceramic media and stops the sand blocking the filter. I also have a second internal filter suitable for a 60ltr aquarium running also. If money was no object I would replace the whole tank for a larger more conventional aquarium, but as I spent £200 plus on it i would like to keep it going for a little while longer.

The question is would it be possible to keep two irrubesco in this tank? There are alot of plastic plants to break the line of sight. My concern is the "floor" space as its taller than long. But also if I just get the one when I upgrade to a bigger tank will the original puffer accept a new puffer after being alone for so long?

Thank you in advance

are they definately irrubesco? I was sold two as that and they are abei and they seem quite commonly available at the moment. If so although not recomended Ive had 2 in a 2ft tank for 10 months with no problems although research tells me Im doing the wrong thing

They are on order from a Lfs. I explained how they r easily confused with a more aggressive species. I made sure he wrote down the Latin name so I hope so! I will have to go and see them to make sure when they come in! I've heard they can come in mixed? Is the only difference the red tail?

Most reactions

Back