Fish Crazy
Reaction score
Livestock: Caridina Simoni Simoni Rare Dwarf Shrimp
Quantity for sale: 10 (+2)
Reason for Sale: so others can enjoy
Delivery or Collection: Both
Sales price: £25
Postage & Packaging: £7.50 royal mail next day special delivery
Payment: Paypal only. Please PM to arrange transaction.

cimg3160.jpg

cimg2664s.jpg

cimg5135b.jpg

cimg5130.jpg

cimg5127q.jpg

cimg5113c.jpg

cimg5110r.jpg

cimg5109.jpg

cimg5107g.jpg

cimg5106g.jpg

cimg5673w.jpg

cimg3173x.jpg

This shrimp is from Sri Lanka originally and has a beautiful natural coloration, especially when berried. It also has a number of unusual characteristics;

1. This shrimp will absolutely not interbreed with any other shrimp species kept in the hobby, and therefore can be added to tanks with any Caridina, Neocaridina, or Sulawesi species without fear.

2. It has an attractive humped back, which is more common on marine/brackish shrimps than freshwater ones. Females also become more beautiful the older they get, see photos.

3. Although they are very active, constantly swimming and eating, they consistently like to rest upside-down under bits of over-hanging driftwood in the shade, which is fun to see.

4. They are very social and like to feed in strange groups. See youtube video here; http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XgkznO1CDfY&feature=relmfu)

5. Apparently it has a brief larval stage, but these larvae must be sedentary as I have never seen them in the water-column (or otherwise), and my shrimps have no trouble breeding in tanks with a filter that doesn’t have a panty-hose mesh over it (I tried this in the beginning out of fear but was too much work to keep clean).

6. This shrimp is 100% impervious to summer heat. I kept them in my tanks over the summer without a fan and on at least a couple of occasions one tank reached 34C (this is not a typo), and on both occasions all shrimps were fine. On one of these occasions I had extremely small newborn baby shrimplets (~3mm) in this tank and all of them appeared to survive. On both occasions none of the berried females lost their eggs. I know all of this because the tank in question is very small (8liters) and so I can see all the shrimp in it. Although most of the moss in this tank died, the shrimp were fine. They are a tropical shrimp and so like high temps, but I have some breeding in 22C right now as well. I have read that if you keep them at that temperature they start to breed more slowly, but I have not noticed any difference.

7. This shrimp is easier to keep than cherries. I have kept them for 17 months now, and they live ~16 months. Even without water changes for months this shrimp will not show signs of stress and keeps on breeding. I even kept one in a 2liter bowl on the windowsill in direct summer sun with no filter and a few floating plants for 4 months and it was fine (I think this bowl reached >34C but I did not have a thermometer back then), even when all the snails I kept it with died while I was on vacation (presumably due to overheating). It is said that they do better in soft acid water at least 25C, but they will breed well in everything in my experience. However like other shrimp, this shrimp will still suffer (and die) if you try to acclimatize them too quickly to different water parameters (I made this mistake so you don’t have to, heh).

I keep mine at 22-28C (most of the time), 6.5Ph, 6Kh, in 8,12, and 20 liter tanks. They breed in all three of these tanks. Limited quantities. Selling 10 (+2) shipped royal mail next day special delivery for 32.50 pounds and picked-up for 25 pounds from London SE4 2JH. I accept paypal. Please PM me if interested. All photos are my own.

Hi, really interested in some of these. Would not be until the new year though when I have their tank fully up and running. Will you still have some for sale?

Also have you kept these with other dwarf shrimp? And they haven't interbred?

Cheers
:good:

had some shrimp arrvie today . well packed and cute shrimp thank you froth :good:

Also have you kept these with other dwarf shrimp? And they haven't interbred?

Yep, I have kept them with cherries and they did not interbreed. They will NOT interbreed with any other shrimp in the hobby. You can tell by looking at them (humped backs etc) that they are from a totally different gene pool than the crystals and cherries that are more commonly kept. If anything they are most similar to red-nose shrimp in shape - which do not breed in freshwater. Simoni's do breed in freshwater however. So these shrimp are totally safe to keep with all your other species, which is a nice touch. Since it is difficult to find shrimp that you can keep together other than the standard cherry-crystal pairing. Cheers.

Good evening,

I just wanted to check if these are still available or if they will be in the NY?
I'm setting up a tank and they sound interesting as the main occupents.

Also, would you consider collection, rather than post in the cold months?

Just wanted to say Thank you very much to Frothhelmet for the Shrimps!
They all arrived healthy and alive and perfectly packed.
He also went out of his way to post them at a specific day so I could collect them from the late-night royal mail.
He even gave me acclimatisation tips!

For those that are interested in the Shrimp, I would recommend getting them.

They are god-dam TINY! But cute, active and a great addition to the tank :)

Got one more order of simoni shrimps available. Please PM if interested. Cheers

I have some lots of these available if anyone is interested. Once night-time temps are above 10C I can start to ship. Cheers.

More available. If your shrimps are struggling in the high temps of late try some of these and you wont be disappointed.

Most reactions

trending

Back