Cardinals?

kittyuk

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Are Cardinals more tolerant of salty water than Neons? I have salt in the water for the Mollies.
I saw a shoal of about thirty black mollies with a shading of rust under the chin and on the chest. What would they be? They were for sale at my lfs, but I didn't have time to enquire about them.

How concentrated is the salt solution in your tank?

The mollies you mention... they sound to me like hybrids. Theres very little reference to them on the web but I have this quote from an email a long time back
It is one of does cultivated fish how is mass-produced in big fish -farms ,
they cross several fishes, hybrids ;and some time manual insemination,of the
Poecilia and put a lot of hormones and chemicals in the water for to get a
fast growing up to "sale-size",and color changes.
Color also injects in various cultivated fish,its horrible fish
it is a lot of healthy, beautiful mollies in the nature, how is better to
have as aquarium fish.
All hybrids fish don't have a normal behavior, and never get the full size
and are in many case sterile.

Here is a link of the 'full' copper molly -> http://rjs.vrx.net/coppermollies/

Basically I wouldn't support something which is just a manmade fish, they will be sterile and have been forced to breed to produce these colours and will be sterile.

I was advised to put ten tsp of salt in the tank, it's 36"x18" :)
That's interesting about the hybrid mollies being sterile, didn't know that :blink:

what others you got in tank with the mollies!

Three clown loaches, guppies, two gouramis, six leopard danios, two rams and a pleco!

I have no experience with them its just what this guy said a few months ago, I've never seen or bought these copper mollies but this guy was a bit of an expert so I'd trust what he said. :) If those are the mollies in your tank which have since given birth I'll be suprised that he got it wrong.

I've emailed the guy about it, I don't know if he still uses the address but I'll let you know what I find out ;)

No, I didn't buy any of the black/rust Mollies.
The pregnant ones/new mums are the silver mollies I cycled the tank with (along with the danios) :)

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back